Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAM 1911 Military

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

SAM 1911 Military

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and the 1911 world. I recently purchased a Shooter's Arm Manufacturing "Military" model pistol, imported by Century International Arms. I intended to purchased the Springfield, but bought this one instead on recommendation of the salesman. They are made in the Philippines and (according to the salesman), on old Remington machinery. The pistol is parkerized and seems well made. There are a few minor tool marks internally but not at any critical surfaces. After the first box of ammo, it has only failed to eject twice with about 300 rounds through it. It groups about 2 inches at 25 feet and I'm not a very good pistol shot. It shoots better in terms of accuracy and feeding than my father-in-law's Springfield GI issue. I haven't had any feed/eject problems (except 2 stovepipes) and we've shot everything through it...factory 230 FMJ, r-load 200 lead wadcutters, and r-load 200 JHP, and r-load 230 Lead round nose. I think its a tremendous pistol for the $. Does anyone else have one of these SAM 1911s? If so, what are your thoughts on it.
    Respectfully,
    John

Posts liked by others
    Should have bought an Armscor or Rock Island armory. They are better pistols from the same country of manufacture.
    Colt made the 1911 tradition. Norinco made it more popular because of the price.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the Forum, John! Post some pictures of your SAM...I'm not sure I've ever seen one! Sounds like you have yourself the shooter you were looking for and at a price you were comfortable with.

If you need help posting pictures, look under the FAQ tab at the top of the page... http://forum.m1911.org/faq.php?faq=a...ostingpictures. I'd love to see 'em!
    Creighton

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the feedback. I purposely stayed away from RIA after researching it and speaking with several gunsmiths. They all pretty much said the SAM was the best bang for the buck at this price point. I was not aware of the Armscor however. I bought this one for my teenage son and I to learn on. I'd feel pretty bad bustin' a kilobuck+ gun right out of the box homesmithing it. I'm content to start small, I wouldn't teach my kids to drive in a Lexus, when a 20 year old pickup works just as well...

I've made a few minor mods to the pistol. Walnut grips over rubber finger grooves, arched/grooved mainspring housing. I tried a short steel knurled trigger but it didn't feel right (too short and pull not as clean) so I put the original trig back. I'll post some pics soon.

Respectfully,
    John

Posts liked by others
    I found this! Check it out. I have never heard of them?

http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/

Looks like Taurus and Llama may have some competition!
    Last edited by Captain America; 15th June 2007 at 15:44.

Posts liked by others
    I wonder if Colt and other standard parts interchange? Also, what's the price range? John, the RIA is a wonderful 1911 to learn on...unless it was price, I can't imagine why your dealer would steer you away from them. RIA/Armsco are really fine pistols! Tell us more about your SAM (with pictures!).
    Creighton

Posts liked by others
    Here in our country, SAM is claiming they have upgraded their facilities and machines. SAM pistols have 4140 investment castings and claim their slides are forged. I was to buy a SAM Elite but changed my mind and bought a Norico 1911. Armscor and RIA's are much better judging by quality and realibility as my friends told me. The price doesnt really differ that much compared to armscor or RIA.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America
    I found this! Check it out. I have never heard of them?

http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/

Looks like Taurus and Llama may have some competition!
    Yes, SAM is competitive price-wise...and in fairness to Shooters, it has been in the 1911 market long before Taurus entered the 1911 world.. With due respect to Llama, Shooters is more 1911-parts compatible. Llama is not 100% 1911 parts friendly...

Posts liked by others
    I have never seen a SAM 1911 in person. The biggest drawback in the U.S. seems to have been distribution and availability. Now that Century is their importer/distributor, I hope they make it into the gun shops and that we see more of them. The few reports I have read suggest that they are virtually 100 percent parts compatible and shoot fairly well. A couple of reports have alleged "soft" steel, but those reports were isolated and could have been sour grapes.

The bottom line for me is that there haven't been enough of them sold in the U.S. to really have much of a track record. They should be selling for a few bucks less than Rock Island pistols, so they would be a good choice for the learner's first pistol.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by clughog
    I wonder if Colt and other standard parts interchange? Also, what's the price range? John, the RIA is a wonderful 1911 to learn on...unless it was price, I can't imagine why your dealer would steer you away from them. RIA/Armsco are really fine pistols! Tell us more about your SAM (with pictures!).
    Yes, it can interchange with colt parts. I replaced the slide-stop of my sam elite with colt slide-stop (drop-in), coz i dont like the factory extended slide stop. I also replaced factory barrel-bushing with colt (also drop-in!). Those colt parts were given to me by a shooter-friend..

Btw, i replaced the sear twice..first was armscor but broke down again..then BulM5 sear now and still functioning. The factory sear broke after about 1000 accumulated rounds fired..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast