Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Test Fixture

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Barrel Test Fixture

In a thread started about 2 years ago, a poster going by "checkshoun" mentioned the Army's Marksmanship Unit tested 1911 barrels for accuracy in some sort of holding fixture. Sort of like a universal receiver, I guess, but one that uses 1911 barrels. Been thinking of building one to test barrels (and ammo) independently from the gun, but would like some how-to hints.

Anybody ever seen one - or seen a picture of one - or heard a description of one?

Posts liked by others
    Is it some kind of modified Ransom Rest?
    ESSE QUAM VIDERI
    "Lazy spider lets dinner guests wreck home."

Posts liked by others
    I remember seeing a photo of one a few years back in American Handgunner in an article written by one of the regular writers (perhaps Charles Petty?) but can't remember much more than that.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Twin Oaks: Don't have any idea what it's like, except my guess is it's probably big, heavy, and bolted firmly down to a big concrete or steel base to absolutely prevent any movement! This guess based on pictures I've seen of universal test receivers for testing different types of ammo. To test a different type a barrel chambered for that caliber/cartridge is installed.

Hi Dave: Thanks for the hint. One of my shooting buddies has lots of American Handgunner back issues. Think I'll pay him a visit.

Posts liked by others
    I think David Sams makes and sells them. They're not all that humongous but do require a really sturdy base...much like one for a Ransom Rest. Last I heard he was getting $1500 for them.
    If you want to see a pic of one that's a modified copy of mine, which Ed Masaki now has, try rdaniels36@cox.net
    I suspect Rich can take a pic of his and send it along.

Bob

Posts liked by others

Cataloged for $1800 at Sams Custom Gunworks

One picture on the splash page at:
    http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/products.html

Presumably exists for Beretta and for 1911 -

Clark and Wilson and I'm sure others say they use a barrel test fixture of unknown make for 1911 barrels. Clark will test stock barrels before using them in accuracy jobs and Wilson says they test their own production in a fixture; I suppose rather than fitting a given barrel to a pistol.

Posts liked by others

Mr. Berryhill may be thinking of this article

The Barrel Tester
    American Handgunner, Jan, 2001 by Alex Hamilton
    Joe Cominolli's new barrel accuracy testing fixture is a tool even the most high-tech gun shops have wished they had, but did not have the time to build. Joe's fixture is a state-of-the-art tool that is a far cry from the old converted Springfield rifle actions we used in days gone by.......
    Ned Christiansen suggested someplace in effect and IIRC that it would be easy to start with a surplus rifle action and windup with the nuisance of a short barreled rifle.

Posts liked by others
    I must be missing something here because I don't see the windage and elevation adjustments on this one. If you have your own in-house testing range, that's fine. But if you have to tote the tester to an off-site point, those adjustments are a 'must have.'

Bob

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill
    I remember seeing a photo of one a few years back in American Handgunner in an article written by one of the regular writers (perhaps Charles Petty?) but can't remember much more than that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Dave, I think that was a Petty article. The one he tested was an improved copy of the one used by Mike Curtis. And the one built by Rich Daniels is a much-improved version of that same tester.

Bob

Posts liked by others
    It definitely wasn't the one by Cominolli. It was an "old school" test fixture built by one of the military armorers for testing barrels used for their Bullseye pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast