Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defender Mag Question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Defender Mag Question

I purchased a Defender yesterday, shot it today and will love for many years to come. I have a question about the magizine. What mag's will it handle? I am not experinced with 1911, I never felt drwn to them, until I shot a Springfield Micro, fell in love and gave my glock to my wife. I know now why you love them or hate them, I'm a lover and welcome sugestions. I have been told I can use the commander magizine in this frame, is this true? It is 7+1 I was told they make a 8+1 mag for the defender. Any help would be great.

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up Welcome to the Forum

The Defender will accept the officers mags. In fact it accepts and fires full size mags with a portion of the mag sticking out. I picked up 3 factory Colt mags for $45.00 at http://gunbroker.com/
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D
    Last edited by Rich-D; 29th May 2007 at 00:37.

Posts liked by others

Info on the diffrent models?

Thanks, I am bidding on some now, if you have any other sites that can help me with info on the colt 1911 it would be alot of help.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum...and I'd sure like to see some pictures of your Defender. I love mine.
    Creighton

Posts liked by others
    Commander magazines are the same length as Government model magazines -- full length. They will fit into a Defender, but they will extend below the bottom of the grip frame. I don't have a Defender, but I believe the magazines are the same as an Officers model. If not, then they're even shorter than that. Too long will work; too short won't.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Defender mags (and grips) are Officer's model length. Like everything else in life there is a small exception. For about a year Colt did make a Defender with the 3 inch barrel and a Commander length grip (I think they called it a Defender Plus). It is rather rare.

The only picture I have handy to sort of show the mag length is a Ciener .22 Commander length conversion unit on a Defender bottom. The .22 mag is of Commander length and it sticks out the bottom a bit. The grips, by the way, are made by Ajax, thus not original

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Defenders use the Officers mags.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Defenders use the Officers mags.
    As mentioned above, Defenders use compact mags like those made for the Officers Model and the Springfield Micro Compact. Personally, I use McCormick 7 rd Stainless Steel Compact mags. Thye have been 100% performers in my Defender, Officers Model, and Springfield MC.

Enjoy your Defender, they are great carry guns.

Noah

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, like i said I never was a fan of the 1911, just didn't do it for me. Then I shot itg and bought one the following week end. I love it. I put 500rnds through it yeterday and wow what a diffrence over my glock. What makes them shoot so well?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jroberts1968
    . . . What makes them shoot so well?
    Wish I knew. I have two full-size 1911s and a Series-80 Combat Commander that can't touch my Series 90 Defender.

Noah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast