Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Colt Custom Combat 10 - pic

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Smile Colt Custom Combat 10 - pic

A couple of weeks ago I was fortunate to read a message, from a member of another gun forum, that although he wasn't interested in it this gun was for sale. He knew the town he saw the gun in, but not the name of the shop. Some creative internet searching came up with one FFL in the town and some more searching on the name gave me their phone number, however they were closed. A little more searching gave me the owner's home phone number and she told me the gun was still in stock and they opened in a couple of hours. I was at the door when they opened.

The gun was completely stock and unfired. Although I thought I was going to see a Delta Elite the gun turned out to be a "Colt Custom Combat 10". They were asking $800 for it which I ponied up immediately before they could change their mind. The serial number is 10MM 33x A call to Colt revealed that this was a special run of 425 units and it was made in 1988.

The first day I shot it I put a box through the gun and then replaced the stock dual recoil springs & plastic guide rod which was already starting to show wear. I replaced it with a FLGR and a 26# Wolfe recoil spring; the stock spring is 23#. This worked fine with the hot 200 grain XTP Doubletap ammo I had with me, but when I shot some reduced pressure Federal Hydra Shoks the gun had a couple of failures with the rounds nosediving into the bottom of the feed ramp. I then went to a 24# recoil spring which still worked great with the Doubletaps and also with the lighter loads.

I bought a Sprinco recoil reducing FLGR for the gun from Brownells for $74.95 although I haven't shot the gun with it installed yet. Also picked up 5 Chip McCormick 9 round 10mm magazines from Midway for $23.89 each. I also found these same mags for $1.90 less at CDNN which was the best price I found on them, however I needed some other stuff that Midway had in stock and bought from them.

To date the gun has 400 rounds through it and it's been reliable once I sorted out the spring rate. The lack of a beavertail I can live with and the GI thumb safety is serviceable even though these parts are different than what I am accustomed to. The trigger has a smooth face and is on the heavy side. I'm guessing it's around 5.5-6# and I would like to have it tuned and lightened.

I'm still considering this gun's fate. Should I leave it stock or at least only change parts that are easily put back in place or should it be the basis for a custom?

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

Nice gun!!! I have only seen one other Colt Custom Combat 10 and that was 4 years ago at the big gun show in Tulsa, OK. I can't recall the exact price, but I know he was asking over $1000 for it, and it was used. If it were me I would try to keep it mostly stock, might clean up the trigger pull a bit.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildon1911s
    Nice gun!!! I have only seen one other Colt Custom Combat 10 and that was 4 years ago at the big gun show in Tulsa, OK. I can't recall the exact price, but I know he was asking over $1000 for it, and it was used. If it were me I would try to keep it mostly stock, might clean up the trigger pull a bit.
    The gun looks quite serviceable as it is. The grip safety is not what I prefer, I have severe web pinching without a beavertail, but I've never tried this "Commander" setup, so I do not know. The sights seem serviceable as well, so if it shoots well with the loads you like, there is no reason to alter it.

Of course, some woods on the grips would make it look perfect, but this is a personal opinion.

Rgds
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Thanks John!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wildon1911s
    Nice gun!!! .
    Thank you wildon1911s!

Has anyone used a Sprinco FLGR?