Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mozambique Drill

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Mozambique Drill

Here is a rather sloppy "Mozambique Drill". The drill is two shots to the "A" zone, one to the head. Some say it is two to the body, assess then one to the head. I don't like to wait.

Last edited by Lurper; 25th April 2007 at 01:55.

Posts liked by others
    Lurper,

OK, I'm sold. Sloppy or not, I'm not coming to your house uninvited at 3 AM.

What I'd like to know is are you sighting or pointing? If the former, how do you sight at that speed? 90% of my shooting has been trap so I've been "highly conditioned" to be a pointer. Is this a bad habit I need to unlearn? And, if so, there goes my trap score, no?
    Happy Trails,
    K9

Posts liked by others
    OK that was fast.
    If I heard right, that was 1:29. For comparison, it takes about 1:75-1:85 for me to draw and fire my first shot. That's from concealment (IWB under a shirt), but still...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by K9american
    ...are you sighting or pointing? If the former, how do you sight at that speed? 90% of my shooting has been trap so I've been "highly conditioned" to be a pointer. Is this a bad habit I need to unlearn? And, if so, there goes my trap score, no?
    I shoot both pistols and trap. When I shoot a pistol I focus on the front sight and am tolerably fast. When I shoot a shotgun at a moving target, I focus on the target.

I can't speak for Lurper, but I've shot IPSC with some very fast shooters, and they use the sights. I've also had some good training. It is possible to use the front sight and be very, very quick about it. It's a matter of training, technique and practice.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Try shooting some groups utilizing target focus. I think you'll be surprised. Not to say you're not seeing and using the sights. Just not in the traditional manner. Your focus either target or sight will depend on the difficulty of the shot.
    Last edited by LVSHOOTER; 25th April 2007 at 16:37. Reason: Adding input

Posts liked by others
    K9
    I always use my sights unless the target is within 1 or 2 meters except when I use optics, then I focus on the target. Once you train yourself, you can see the sights much faster than you think - literally! What happens is most people want to think about seeing the sight instead of just seeing it. Watch the double tap and Bill Drill videos and that will give you an idea of the process.

Posts liked by others
    I understand. I just think most shooters sucumb to a traditional crisp front sight focus all the time when it's not neccesary. You are still seeing and using the sights. It's more like looking through them at the target.
    Last edited by LVSHOOTER; 25th April 2007 at 16:48. Reason: Adding input

Posts liked by others
    I find that with practice, upon presentation of the pistol the sights are "right there." It isn't necessary to look for the sight. Once the gun reaches eye level, the sights are roughly aligned, and the front sight looms large in the center of my field of vision.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Ray, Frank,

Ivan

Posts liked by others
    The drill is two shots to the "A" zone, one to the head. Some say it is two to the body, assess then one to the head. I don't like to wait.
    +1. It should be three smooth shots. You shoot it just like a transition, IMO. The only difference is the transition is vertical rather than horizontal. So it's BANG, BANG [muzzle rises in recoil], BANG[front sight finds the head].

The assessment is simultaneous with the third shot. When the front sight settles if you see empty space where the the bad guy should have been, then he is down and no other shots are needed. As my friend in armored Cav says, shoot until the target changes shape.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (16th February 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast