Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIA/ARMSCOR 40 CAL ??? (new member)

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Icon16 RIA/ARMSCOR 40 CAL ??? (new member)

Hi all,
    This is my first post here, looks like a great forum for the 1911 fan. I was wondering if anyone owns, or does RIA/ARMSCOR make a 1911 in 40 cal?

If one of you guys owns one I would really be interested in your feed back on the 40 vs the 45.

Posts liked by others
    Well I don't own a 40 Armscor , but I own a 40 and a few 45's .

The 45 as we all know is a battle proven round , but then again that can be said of how many rounds ? Hundreds perhaps ? A nice round chunk of lead has killed a whole bunch of people through out history now hasn't it .

The 45 has been and still is one of the most accurate rounds in the world setting target shooting records that I do believe still stand . But are you a die hard target shooter ? I doubt it .

The 45 since it has been around so long is far easier to find in loaded rounds and reloadable components , many will describe the recoil of the 45 as a push rather than a "Whip" which is how many perceive the 40 . Now mind you being a so called "Modern Round" the 40 hit the market in guns with Light weight frames and combined with the higher working pressures of the round is often the difference in this feel of recoil .

The 40 is being used by many Police departments in the United States and has been for about a decade and it has done a wonderful job as establishing itself as a "Man stopper" , superior to that of the 9mm's record as such .

The 40 is more than accurate enough for the weekend target/plinker/shooter in that if you can't hit the target odds are you need to look at your abilities rather than the gun for fault .

In reloading the 40 you have to keep in mind those higher pressures and make sure you don't get a double charge and that the bullet is held firmly in the case because if it gets set back your pressures will skyrocket to levels that are dangerous both to you and your gun .

In the end if it came to a gun fight I would feel fine with either round and a good hollow point or even a semi wadcutter coming out of the muzzle at near 1,000 fps regardless of the weapon platform used .

Around the house I have within reach more often than not one of three guns 1, a Charles Daly 45 with Hornady 200 gr hollow point loaded near max with Winchester 231 , 2) a 40 Taurus PT 940 with Remington 180 gr JHP factory loads and lastly 3) a Taurus 357 with Winchester 125 JHP's and a max load of 231 . All three are 100% dependable with those loads and accurate enough to do the job , if I do my part and put them where they need to go I doubt I would ever need more gun to defend myself or family .

So take your pick , street home or anywhere in between there are many fine cartridges that can be used for defense or fun that are up to the task . Are you ?

Posts liked by others
    i'm not sure if ria makes .40 in the 1911 platform,i know they have 9mm but they are not exporting it at the moment, regarding the cartidges it really up to you if you like the .40cal i'm sure it will do the job but like my dealer said when i told him that my brother doesnt want to buy my ria 1911 in 45 bec he wants a glock or an xd in 9mm his response to me was "some people value life more than others"

Posts liked by others
    Vikz
    "some people value life more than others"
    You make me laugh

Every one I know wants a carry gun for under $100 They all want to carry a .17 or a .22 I never heard of a .17 They make fun of my full size .45acp!! Why such a big gun. Simple I always win I also tell them my pistol is there to save my LIFE!! I am not a betting man I don't take chances a .22 won't cut it for me. A back up sure my primary carry not a chance
    Sorry for the rant...
    “Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power” Dwight D Eisenhower

RIA Tactical RIA C.S. Steyr M9-A1

Posts liked by others
    I've read that the pressures and whatnot of the .40S&W don't lend itself to the wonderful 1911 design, although with 9mm 1911's around that does not make a ton of sense.
    I'm certain you aren't the first to want a 1911 in .40, but, there must be a reason they aren't around, particularlly with the explosive growth of the 1911 and the .40 in recent years.

Posts liked by others
    Armscor does have a 40 S&W listed on their web site.
    "This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints."

Posts liked by others
    automag and you don't have one of this yet??!!!that's not right!!!

Posts liked by others
    Vikz, actually I do not have an Armscor/RIA in 40 S&W..............yet!!!! My son does have a Mauser M2 in 40 S&W and it is a pretty nice round. Some refer to it as the 10MM short!!
    "This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints."

Posts liked by others
    see i told you guys "not yet" !! if automag don't have ria in 40 cal that means its not available here in the us of a!!!

Posts liked by others
    THE RIA does come in 40 cal single and double stack????
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast