Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911 Vs 1911-1A What's the Difference?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 Vs 1911-1A What's the Difference?

Hi everybody, I am in the market for some cheaper magazines for range plinking and have a question for you. Whats the difference between the 1911-1A and a 1911? I have a new TRP Operator that is a 1911-1A and can find lots of magazines for about 7$ for 1911's(7round). Will they work? Does the 1A just indicate the safety?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Bill

Posts liked by others
    They take the same magazines.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailboarderr
    Hi everybody, I am in the market for some cheaper magazines for range plinking and have a question for you. Whats the difference between the 1911-1A and a 1911? I have a new TRP Operator that is a 1911-1A and can find lots of magazines for about 7$ for 1911's(7round). Will they work? Does the 1A just indicate the safety?
    Bill
    Here's a good starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_M1911/M1911A1

*Edit *
    Crud. OD beat me posting while I was researching. Hehe.
    SA GI Parkerized .45 S&W 28-2 .357 Magnum SA XD-45 Compact 4"
    - -

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Bill
    Please keep in mind that the magazine is an integral part of the system. Buying cheap magazines for your pistol, is like owing an expensive car and ask which are the cheaper rethread tires you can put on it. Don't do it. Read the bad experiences of others with those cheap magazines. Buy the best magazine you can afford.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    ... and can find lots of magazines for about 7$ for 1911's(7round).
    John is right (of course!) unless you're talking about the deal on new magazines using Springfield's "loaded" coupon. Springfield uses a good quality produced magazine, and their deal with the coupon can't be beat.

But if you're talking about some unknown brand of magazine for $7, then I'd stay away. I think a lot of us have been bitten by cheap magazines at some point. They're not worth the money.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Also, as with my sign-on name, the firing pin stop was changed from the long radius to the tapered version that enabled the user to rack the slide with the hammer down much easier...

To most, not an improvement, and changed recoil handling quite a bit. EGW sells a part that replicates the original Browning design and should be considered in any 1911...

FPS

Posts liked by others
    Also, as with my sign-on name, the firing pin stop was changed from the long radius to the tapered version that enabled the user to rack the slide with the hammer down much easier...
    No sir, that was not a 1911/1911A1 change. The old .078" FPS was changed to the new 7/32" around serial number range 240000, or 1918. The 1911A1s have always had the "new" radius.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    I stand corrected -- your dates are correct, however, I wanted to note a major change to the original M1911...thanks for the heads-up

FPS