Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Performance Center Action Job

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Performance Center Action Job

Anyone here ever send your S&W 1911 to the S&W Performance Center for an action job? Were you happy with the results? What did you get for your money?

GHP

Posts liked by others

Long Answer

Although I am very fond of my Smith model DK1911 I always felt the trigger pull was, at about 5.5 lbs., too heavy. So i sent it off to Smith and Wesson for an action job and stipulated that, since this pistol will never be a carry gun, as light a trigger pull as possible was desired... Seven weeks later, the pistol was returned to me with a trigger pull of about four lbs. as measured on a Lyman scale.
    The first time I took it to the range, the gun went full auto on me. I called Smith, was given a return authorization, and back the gun went. Three weeks later, I received the pistol and the trigger pull measured an average of 5.8 pounds on the Lyman scale. So I called Smith and told them that since I had paid for an action job, my trigger pull was heavier than it was when I sent it to them the first time. Their reply was that the trigger pull was, indeed, too heavy for a pistol with an action job and, again issued a return authorization.
    Sent the pistol back. Weeks later, I received the pistol, measured the trigger pull... averaged 5 lbs. 10 oz. on the scale.
    Called Smith, was told to weigh the trigger using a weight on the trigger so I tied a string around the trigger and suspended a gallon jug and added water till the trigger broke... Measured the jug... 5lbs. 10 oz.
    Called Smith, told them they had my gun for a total of THREE MONTHS and did nothing to it but increase the trigger pull.
    So Smith gave me a refund....

My advise is to send it to a good pistol smith for this type of work... not S&W.

Decker