Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag Spring confusion

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question Mag Spring confusion

Hello,

I purchased a pack of Wolff magazine springs: 11# 7-rounders for colt magazines, part #7137x. I tried to replace the spring in one of my Springfield Metalform mags and ran into a problem.

The Wolff spring is considerably longer than the original. Not sure if that is OK or not. Maybe that is how it gets its extra power?

The big issue is how the top of the spring is formed. It doesn't match the angle of the follower and in fact only a tiny portion of the spring will actually touch the follower. Notice how the original spring will fully contact the follower and bends around the notch for the slide release. Also the coils are wound in a reverse fashion. Are these the correct springs or did Wolff send me the wrong ones?

The Wolff spring is on the left and the original Metalform on the right.

-David

Posts liked by others
    If you count the number of coils you will find that they are the same. The springs get compressed with use. The loop on the new spring should be turned toward the front. Hope this helps.
    The choices we make in life will echo in eternity. Choose wisely. <><

Posts liked by others

I'm not sure

I counted the coils and they are the same number. I'm still not sure that the coil design is correct. I rotated the new Wolff spring 180 deg. and took another photo for comparison. Notice how the bottom of the spring is no longer at the same angle as the old spring and the magazine. Can someone confirm if this is OK?

Wolff spring on left, original on right.

Thanks,

-David

Posts liked by others

You are fine

You are fine,

That's the best spring,

You will have no problems

The front of the loop faces foward

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Yeap! You should be fine.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    DJmuoio, I think that your observation regarding the spring follower, coil slant, and base orientation are valid. I too just received NEW wolff springs for my Springfield OEM Magazines Spring P/N 71373. When I removed the old spring, the coil slant actually matches the cant of the magazine. The Wolff replacements look bassackwards. I'm definitely a rookie but this is almost the square peg in the round hole scenario, Obviously the smaller coiled tipped up goes forward but when the spring is inserted into the mag it seems to have a rough feel. The slant of the coil winding is actually going in the opposite direction. Why go the the trouble to build a spring that looks like the original and then reverse the top and bottom. Strange. I not saying ya'll are wrong, I'm just saying it must be some weird science going on here.

Posts liked by others

Springy Thingies

You have the correct springs. Install them and be happy. Be sure the top loop is correctly positioned under the follower.

Cheers!

Posts liked by others
    It's the "weird science" going on here. I just went through this with two Series 70 Reproduction guns and four mags. The first set of OEM springs were about an inch shorter than the Wolff set, but I changed them and went on my way. They work just like Tuner said they would. Then I pulled the second set of factory mags and that set of springs are nearly two inches shorter than the Wolff set. Again, the Wolff springs are just what I needed. Not a malfunction since the change over.
    Clayton

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by texbaz
    Why go the the trouble to build a spring that looks like the original and then reverse the top and bottom.
    The purpose of that little redesign is to place equal tension on the front and rear of the follower. It's one of the few "improvements" over the original that actually does improve function, and it originated from the old military armorers' practice of creating the
    altered angle on the bottom coil of the spring and placing a slight kink in the top coil.
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 18th March 2007 at 08:42.

Posts liked by others
    I have an ultra carry in 40S&W and thats how my springs look in my mag's with the bend at the top of the spring. I would call to make sure you have the right spring. If you dont want the new spring i will take them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast