Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PT1911 primer issue crosspost from TFL

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

PT1911 primer issue crosspost from TFL

Users on The Firing Line forums are posting issues with oversized firing pin holes that are causing a potentially dangerous problem with ballooning primers.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233975

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235131

Posts liked by others
    Those are good links tackdriver. Can you post some pictures of how our primers are supposed to look? I saw the pictures of the problem primers, but the pictures of the normal ones aren't up anymore. Also, what does "The firing pin hole is not supposed to be chammerferred" mean? Can you post a picture of what our firing pin hole is supposed to look like?

Posts liked by others

Wolff Firing Pin Spring

FWIW -- My pistol exhibits the same primer "cratering" with any of three factory 230-gr loads and my own mid-range 200-gr LSWCBB reloads.

I did replace the firing pin spring with a Wolff extra-strength spring. This appears to have decreased the primer affect by approx 50%; an occasional spent case primer even looks perfect.

I'm enjoying the pistol too much to want to consider the loss of use if a warranty fix is required.

Posts liked by others
    I'd love to show you what a normal .45 primer looks like, but I can't because Taurus still has my pistol. From what I've gathered, the bulging, ballooning primers are bad things to look out for. Otherwise, I believe your primers should be flat except for the divot from the pin strike. They shouldn't look "reinflated" or bulging.

Cap'n -- Trust me, I understand not wanting to lose the gun for a couple of months 'cause that's what I'm going through now. But, they're not replacing the entire pistol for these guys that are sending them back for no reason.

Posts liked by others
    Hi

The pictures on the other thread aren't to great. The "dimple" that takes up about 80% of the primer surface should not be there.

A normal primer hit should have the "ding" from the firing pin and possibly a *little* raised ridge around that. The entire mark on the primer surface should be less than 1/4 area of the primer.

Bob

Posts liked by others

Bulged primer pics

Here's some pics I took of the primers coming out of my PT1911. The first three are of factory rounds, Fiochi and Winchester White box. The fourth pic is one of my home reloads with a CCI large pistol primer. The load is a low to medium charge of 5gr. of Accurate #2 with an OAL of 1.255 and a Berry's plated 230 bullet. Please click on the pics for larger views.

The last pic is of a normal firing pin strike, with a hint of pin wipe.

Posts liked by others

+1

Yep ... the first four photos are showing the same thing I'm seeing from my PT 1911.

Posts liked by others

Primer bulge

I'm seeing the same thing on a variety of rounds - Win White Box Ball, Rem 230 JHP, Federal Hydra Shok, Powerball - everthing I've run through it has this bulging - so its not one lot or brand of ammo. What do we do - this is my 1st 1911 - is it safe to shoot?

Posts liked by others
    Not much to be concerned about...the Beretta guys on thefiringline.com all seem to have the same primer marks on their 9mm 92F's and many going back for years with these primer marks. None have reported any problems and have shot their weapons for years with their 92F's producing these same primer marks. While it may look odd...there isn't any rupture of the primer case, which would be of concern. My PT1911 produces the very same primer marks...I see no reason for concern and just yesterday put another 100+ rounds through her without incident. My advice, go out shoot and have fun.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    For those of you with the bulging primers, does your serial number end in J or K. One of the members in the other thread posted that his pistol was NZJ. I wonder if Taurus made any updates to the pistols labeled NZK.

Mine is NZK. I will be going to the range this Friday so when I get back I will post pictures of the primers to see if there is any difference.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast