Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Thanksgiving
to all those who celebtate it.

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Norwegian Colt

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

1911 Norwegian Colt

New Member, looking for info on a 1942 dated Norwegian Colt I got this weekend. It checks out with last three digits of SN on all pieces ... except the Magazine release. Is the right for a 1942 dated model or is it bad news? Thanks... Michael

Here is a site that had some information for your Norwegian Colt Manufacture.
    May or May not Help. Have a nice day and a wonderful week.
    http://www.sightm1911.com/

The mag release would not have the number on it.... All other major parts will... Please show us a picture.... I am lusting after one of these myself, since I love the 1911, and I am Norwegian....
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." Will Rogers....

Guys I have some info from the internet that shows a picture of the left side of mag release and it does have ( .xxx) shown. It also is picture of early version and I am hoping that being this is a 1942 version, they may have been a little busy and stop marking it during the war. Also have friend that said they caried this as sidearm until the 60's and that would mean that some have been through an arsenal rebuild. What do ya'll think... Michael ....PS I will be glade to post pictures if I can figure it out.

Serial numbers through late 1933 were stamped on the frame, slide, barrel, hammer, slide stop, trigger, thumb safety, grip safety, mainspring housing, MAGAZINE CATCH, firing pin, firing pin stop plate, bushing, recoil spring guide, extractor, ejector, sear, and disconnector. Some very early production even had them on the recoil spring plug. In 1934, about sn 22000 serial numbers were discontinued on the hammer, magazine catch, firing pin, firing pin stop plate, bushing, recoil spring guide, extractor, sear, and disconnector. The ejector serial number discontinued in 1942. Good news is the MAGAZINE CATCH was not serial numbered after 1934.

Thank you Mr. Exitwounds, I will sleep better tonight. Where can I find documentation of this information, I am sure it will come up again. Thanks again. Michael

Norwegian 1914 markings with original holster

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas
    Thank you Mr. Exitwounds, I will sleep better tonight. Where can I find documentation of this information, I am sure it will come up again. Thanks again. Michael
    I have in my limited collection a Norwegian 1914. It is in the 2X958 range,with the numbers 958 stamped on all small parts including the slide release. The only problem with this gun is that it has been reblued due to being left in its original holster for too many years. However on a more positive note the holster that the pistol was left in , i am told, is worth more than the gun. It is an original norwegian flap holster that bears a very small military acceptance mark (waffenampt). I have been told that this holster would have been more correct with a later 1945 waffenampt 1914. Can any one out there offer any input as to the holster ?

But does the Magazine "Release" have the last thre digits stamped on the right side??? That is what I researching. What is the holster worth?.... Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas
    But does the Magazine "Release" have the last thre digits stamped on the right side??? That is what I researching. What is the holster worth?.... Michael
    Michael, there is reference to what I posted above on page. 168 in Charles Clawson's book "Colt .45 Government Models (Commercial Series)" Second Edition.

Pistol, serial number 5775, manufactured in 1924, that was issued to the Artillery Regiment No. 3 on March 5, 1926 is shown on page 177 of that book and bears the last three digits (775) on the right side of the magazine catch.

Norwegian 1914 markings

Michael, sorry but I read everything too fast. No my 1914 does not have anything stamped into the opposite side of the magazine release button. I also did not find anything stamped into the hammer on my particular pistol. With regard to the value of my holster I am almost clueless except for observing a dealer (collectiblefirearms.com)that has one on hold at $495. and that one does NOT have any military acceptance marks. Otherwise the holster I have with the pistol appears the same.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast