Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: tune-up for norinco 1911A1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

tune-up for norinco 1911A1

here in the philippines, gunshops recommend tuning the norinco 1911A1., what are the basic things to do in tuning a norinco 45? is this a necessity or not. some says throating the barrel, polishing the feed ramp, adjusting the trigger pull, add a stabilizer, etc. BTW is norinco 45 reliable and accurate out of the box? if so, maybe i dont need any tune up anymore...tnx!

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    My normal advise to this kind of questions is, to first shoot the pistol and then find out what needs to be done.

The Norinco is an excellent base for customization, since it is a great pistol to start with. From then on, it's up to the user. I do not know what sights come with the current models, but if it has the small military WWII sights, that's one thing I would change. Also, for me a beavertail is a necessity with any 1911. Feed ramps etc, if the pistol shoots what you intend to shoot with it, there is no need to worry about. Adjusting trigger pull, possibly, but how heavy is it now? Oh, and I do not know what a ... stabilizer is.

My 2 Eurocents only.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    The norinco is a good gun. As John already stated, shoot it first and see how it functions. The only thing I can think of on a gun that needs rebuilding is to replace the recoil spring and that is only after several thousand rounds have been fired. There are all sorts of tricks you can do to the 1911 but if that norinco runs like most of them do you won't have to do too much to it.

Posts liked by others
    I agree, shoot it first and see if it has any problems. I do not see a need to fix something that is not broken, just a waste of time and money. Replace the recoil spring after every 2000 rounds, firing pin and mainspring every 5000 rounds, there is an interval for the sear spring, but danged if I can remember it!

Posts liked by others
    If you want to ring out the best accuracy in the gun replace the mil-spec sights and if your version is the same we get up here then get a trigger job done on it. For me I didn't care for the mil-spec sights but have retained them on my knock around bush gun. The trigger job makes for much easier shooting but once you adjust for it you can certainly live with what the gun comes with.
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."
    - LtCol. Jeff Cooper as quoted in Guns & Ammo magazine, January 2002

Posts liked by others
    They often call the full length recoil guide rod as 'stabilizer' in the Philippines. Heck, even the compensator is sometimes called a 'stabilizer.' Personally, the Norinco has ****** sights which I immediately replaced. The mil-spec version also has the ugly plastic grips and they also need to go. Other than those, just keep shooting with it and then probably you'll just replace the springs.
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold

Posts liked by others
    Greetings,
    My Norinco has had a lot of mods done to it, mostly by the previous owner, but I must say they made the gun dead reliable. The P.O. had the feed ramp polished and lowered and the ejection port opened up. I installed a Wilson full length guide rod and Trijicons sights along with a total spring replacement using Wilson parts. I hate to say it, but I use my Norinco more than my 70 series Commander, mainly because it is more accurate. My two cents anyway.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer