Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Proceed?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

How to Proceed?

Hi, I am a newbie on this site, but have read about every thread concerning the workings of the 1911. I know, I have too much time on my hands! Anyway, you guys seem to have plenty of knowledge around here, so here goes.

I have purchased a SIG GSR, and it is a nice weapon. I have carried/shot a HK P7M8 for over 10 years, and decided to give the .45 a try. I had previously owned a Colt Combat Commander many years ago, but that one was just not for me. I am wondering what the best way to proceed with regards to "making" up another 1911, as I am interested in a .45 for my girlfriend. She loves my P7, but I would like her to get into the 1911. So, how should I proceed? Would you buy a meduim priced stock gun and then do the "drop-in upgrade thing", or just buy a Mid-range and let her go? I was thinking of possibly being able to assemble a gun that is more suited to a "softer female touch" that would better suit her needs. That said, she is not a small girl, being 5'9" and about 135 lb.s.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give this newbie, but I can tell you, I am having a ball with this whole 1911 thing. Nothing like having something to be able to play with. I love adult toys!

Thanks again,

Z

Posts liked by others
    Rule #1: No matter what you buy, always get a "better" one for the better half.

Rule #2: Always ask her what she likes to have. Stainless, SS frame/Blue slide, or all blue. (you can change the color with Brownells Gun-Kote. It works on parkerized finishes pretty good.)

Rule #3: Allow her the privilege to best your shooting on the range.

Now as a side note: I've taught my 12 year old niece to shoot by starting her on .22, then the .38, then 9mm, finally with the .45 in one day. She was hitting a 2X4 1 out 2 times with the .45. I've seen a lady from France shoot a .45 in competition and she was about 4'2" and weighed (i guess) less than 100lbs. The secret lies in how the gun is held and handled.

Posts liked by others
    If you ask her what she likes or wants in a handgun, you are going to be sorry. I am. I can't even spell fuschia, let alone find a bake on finish that color.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stumbler

Rule #3: Allow her the privilege to best your shooting on the range.
    Yes, and then you will have to live with the comments of the other shooters. Something along the line:

"OK, we understand why XYZ is here, but why are you? Why aren't you at home doing the laundry?"

or

"John, time to sell your P-226, the girl needs a Walther GSP for her matches with the Greek national team."

or

"Hey John, my rounds hit low and left, what shall ...., never mind I'll ask XYZ"

Very interesting, I am telling you.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lawson
    If you ask her what she likes or wants in a handgun, you are going to be sorry. I am. I can't even spell fuschia, let alone find a bake on finish that color.
    Thank God, my current better half is not into shooting. But with my luck, you never know.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    As a former Pro Athlete, 15 years, I have NEVER let anyone beat me, when they do, it is a solid hard earned victory!

If she starts to get close, I will just practice harder.

But, getting back to my original questions, what do you guys think with regards to selecting a weapon for her?

Posts liked by others
    I don't believe in working up to anything. I trained my late wife by giving her a .45. Later, when I bought her a .25, she complained that the .25 had more kick than the .45.
    I started my 10 year old niece on an Officers ACP with very good results. Part of the effectiveness of a .45 is that in the hands of a rather nervous and distraught lady, that large bore is quite intimidating, especially if she is aiming it at below belt level.

Posts liked by others
    John, yes, it will be a .45. For several reasons, one being having the same ammo, makes it much easier. The other being, I am gonna reload, and don't want to have to reload two calibers.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    For what it's worth, I wouldn't start her with a small 1911. Minimum size would be a Commander, with standard frame (not lightweight), to protect her from the recoil, although I do not believe the .45 recoils that hard.

Rgds
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    OK, my bad!

John, I totally agree, I am only looking at 5" full size options. I should have clarified that in my original post. I personally think the extra weight of the full size helps to reduce recoil.

I am really asking for the little tricks that you guys might know of to soften the recoil. Say a lighter recoil spring type of thing.

Sorry to have not been more clear the first time.

ZH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast