Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: SIG GSR not extracting

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

SIG GSR not extracting

OK, I went to the range today, and my NEW GSR was not extracting. I am not that familiar with the FTF, FTE's meanings .... But here goes:

Out of 150 rounds, Winchester 230gr. FMJ white box ammo, I had extractor/ejection problems about 75% of the time. Sometimes the case would still be in the chamber, other times it would be extracted part way out of the chamber. Maybe 10% of the failures the case was out of the chamber, but failed to eject out of the port.

Looking at a case that I removed from the chamber, the case has a notch/groove where the extractor tried to grab the case, but did not get a good grip and it slid off. It looks like the extractor "hook" is not long enough to fully pull the case out of the chamber.

For those that might not know, the SIG GSR has an external extractor. With the proper tools, it looks easy to replace. Is it actually easy to replace? And if so, what tools do I need? If I can do it myself, whose extractor should I order to replace the existing one?

I am a newbie, so be easy on me

I would like to do it myself, or get it done locally, SIGARMS infromed me the turn around is 3-4 weeks.

Z

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Time for me to go to bed. I didn't remember that those things have the external extractors. Cancel what was written below!!!

Go to M1911.ORG Home Page (you know how to find it, don't you?) and then go into the Technical Issues. Find an article which describes how to adjust your extractor. Read it and do the test on your pistol. If it fails the test, adjust your extractor, per the instructions.

Nothing to it!

Rgds
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 28th December 2004 at 15:00.

Posts liked by others

Extractor Woes

Howdy ZHunter, and welcome aboard.

You must take twenty lashes with the cat-o-nine tails before asking questions here.

Your extractor isn't likely worn this quickly. Those extractors are pretty hard, and it would take a ******* lotta ammo to wear one. If the gun has rxtracted reliably in the past, and your problem started recently, my guess would be the spring that powers the extractor.

it could be that the extractor geometry itself is out of spec, and the hook is camming off the rim...but that's another unlikely situation. It's a very simple part to make, and it's not likely out of spec.

It could also be a little unlock timing problem that was waiting for the spring to get a little tired. If the barrel starts to unlock and link down a little too early, while chamber pressure still has the case expanded a bit, the case is harder to extract. Simple physics. A 1911 that is timed just exactly right will
    function surprisingly well without an extractor. This occurs by accident in
    maybe one gun in five.

Check the tension. Chamber a live round at full speed...carefully...and
    remove the magazine. Slowly draw the slide back just far enough to pull the round out of the chamber, but not far enough to touch the ejector. The round should droop just slightly, without falling through the magwell. Shake the gun up and down a few times. The round should stay put. If it falls
    off, you have a weak spring. If it stays put, you probably have a bad extractor.

Luck!

Tuner

Posts liked by others
    OK, I just tried the 1911Turner test Live rounds are extracted and ejected every time in the Zhunter test that followed the 1911Turner test!

The round sags a bit, but did not fall upon shaking, so, it looks like a possible "timing" problem then.

So how do I fix a timing problem?

Man, I really appreciate your help!

Z

Posts liked by others

Timing?

Mighty welcome ZHunter,

Before gettin' worried about the timing...it may not actually be a problem.
    It may just be a little early. Most 1911-pattery pistols do need the extractor to pull the case. Your problem could well be due to the extractor being a little out of soec...and the spring might need to be a little stronger, even though it passed the test.

If you get the extractor out...see if it looks like it would cam off the rim, or if it looks like it would get a good bite and resist slipping off. It may need to be replaced...and it may just need a slight tweak.

Contact Sig to see if they'll send you a new extractor and spring to try.

God! I love internal extractors when it comes to solving extraction problems!

Standin' by...

Posts liked by others
    I spoke to them already, as I did/do not want to send the weapon away for 4 weeks. This is not a "wearing" problem, this was a out of the box problem. With the slide off, and the round under the extractor, centered, it is a VERY good tight fit. I can't with my fingers pull it forward from the extractor.

Sounds like a possible timing problem.

Standing by.....

Posts liked by others
    hate to pee in your corn flakes but man I have heard so many issues with this new sig style 1911. I would shoot it and find other problems before sending it back so fast.

Posts liked by others
    Hello,
    SIG's GSR has been problematic since it's induction into the 1911 market. Personally, I only know a handful of happy owners, and more than 1 of them took several trips back to the factory to get there. Luckily, SIG has a reputation to protect, and has made the commitment to their customers to offer great customer service. I know the wait is a long time, but it's a lot less frustrating than a problematic gun, especially when it's new and that hard earned cash is still making your pocket's light.

Something to think about.

-Nikolai
    Charles Austin Beard: "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go around repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."

Posts liked by others
    Yeah, several people have said they have had problems. I am gonna bet that they fix it and make it right. SIG is a good company, and good companies know that customer service is a huge part of their business.

As for the light pockets, I got a GREAT DEAL on it. I had the itch today, so I took my HK P7M8 to the range. Great shorting gun that has NEVER once had a malfunction. But I do like the full size and .45 now!

I am into the .45 thing for sure, ordered my Dillon 650 yesterday, gonna crank out some ammo now.

The GSR did shoot VERY accurately tho, the range officer was VERY impressed by the GSR's accuracy. He even asked to shoot it.

Anyway, the wait goes on! I will call them next week to get a report on what they think the problem might be.

ZH