Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to remove the thumb safety?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    brigandce Guest

How to remove the grip safety?

Hi. I just managed to completely dissassemble my SA Mil-spec for the first time. Now I've been inspecting all the various fine parts that I found from inside of it, and have tried to understand how it's mechanics work. The thing is, that I would like to remove the grip safety. Just because I think I could come along just fine without such function. So can anyone of you gentlemen tell me if such an operation is easy to make by your self. Or should I take this fine pistol to a proper gunsmith for the operation.

Thanks.
    Last edited by brigandce; 25th December 2004 at 12:42.

Posts liked by others

Pinning the grip safety

This is a job for a pistolsmith, if you can find one who will abrogate an important safety feature on your pistol.
    A tiny set screw can be used, by drilling and tapping the frame, or a pin can be fitted to pin out the function, or an extension can be fitted that will keep the grip safety from popping out of the frame.
    Before you do this radical surgery, I would admonish you to think about it. The grip safety is not only a blocking device to insure that the grip is taken in the proper way before firing, but its most useful finction is that it allows the hammer to lower safely when the hammer is first cammed back hard and the trigger pulled. Try this a few times on an empty pistol and you'll begin to understand one of its fumnctions.
    Pinning out the grip safety is only for shooters who carry loaded and locked and never lower the hammer on a loaded chamber.

Posts liked by others
    I don't recommend disabling any safety on a 1911, any 'smith worth their salt won't do it either............

brigandce Guest

Thank you for your comments. I studied all night how a 1911 works.
    For now, I just cleaned all the parts thoroughly, relubed 'em and put the pieces back together.

Posts liked by others
    Careful, Wichaka.
    I don't do it, either. However...
    Removing the firing pin safety from Series 80 pistols is another very common alteration.
    Saying that gunsmiths who perform this operation are not worth their salt is an aspersion against their character, and that is forbidden by this forum, isn't it?

Posts liked by others
    Dislike me if they will..........but I will stand by my statement. There have been references to doing it in some older gunsmith books (pinning the grip safety), but have not heard of it latey. I did not mention any 'smith by name, nor do I personally know of any doing it.

The firing pin safety is an answer that had no question........reasonable anyway. The original design did not have the firing pin safety, it was a knee jerk response to the anti-gun group.........same with SA's ILS.

The grip safety on the other hand is a totally different story. The user must have their hand on the gun for it to operate (human factor), if the grip safety is operational the trigger is blocked from moving. If its disabled, the human factor of the equation is taken out. There's one line of safety measure that's been taken away. If the thumb safety is disengaged, it is still phyically (but not mechanically) impossible to fire the gun..........only if the gun itself malfunctions can it discharge (sear-hammer-sear spring). In my opinion the grip safety goes hand-in-hand with the sear blocking thumb safety.

My belief is based on a street carry gun..........a gaming gun, well that's a different story.

Posts liked by others

safeties and liability

Worked for many years in the motorcycle, atv, snowmobile field, also chain saws and lawn and garden equipment. Had many requests to bypass safety switches and features on equipment. Was always advised by manufacturers with this statement. "When you alter the manufacturers design you bevome the manufacturer and in case of an accident caused by this you assume all liabilities". Once you alter the basic design you are liable for everything.
    Bear's Story .

If you have no money and few possesions, if you have a dog you are still rich.

Posts liked by others
    My series 80 Gold Cup has been rebuilt to my preferences from the bare frame and slide up. No safety is abrogated. It works better than many pistols that do not have the firing pin safety.
    The first firing pin safety was first installed by Colt on pistols for the nationals at Perry. (Surprise, surprise.) This was long before it became popular to sue everyone in sight for one's own stupidity. Well, welcome to the New World Order and the Great Age of Exoneration.
    The fp safety was envisioned as a way to insure that a shooter would not snag the hammer and let it fall just short of the old half cock notch. Some pistols fired when the hammer dropped from this position for various reasons.
    The old patent was utilized for liability reasons, but some new Colts do not have the feature. Go figure.
    Today, there are grip safeties that allow a small handed shooter to clasp it into firing position, so there is no reason to abrogate its function.
    If a shooter is following the safety rules (i.e., Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are on the target." it would be a much safer world, but human nature being what it is, we need idiot proof devices on our handguns.
    No firearms "expert" worth his salt would deny the above. Also, what kind of people hide their true identity behind an internet alias?
    Last edited by John Lawson; 27th December 2004 at 13:14.

Posts liked by others

safeties and law suit

We nee to help the lawyers just contact that lady lawyer in Iowa, Sue City Sue
    Bear's Story .

If you have no money and few possesions, if you have a dog you are still rich.

Posts liked by others

Altered States

On the subject of removing, altering, or modifying any designed-in safety feature of a firearm...An exerpt straight from Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual:
    An exerpt straight from Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual Volume 1
    --------------------

A gunsmith's Safety Rules, or how to stay out of trouble...and possibly court at the same time.

1. NEVER alter or remove a safety feature from any gun. If the owner insists, let him do it. Then it's his liability, not yours.

2. DON'T work on any gun with a safety part removed, unless the work includes reinstallation of the safety.

3. WHEN working on Series 80 models, make 100% sure that the internal safety linkage, firing pin, plunger, etc. are correct...in place...and in working order.

4. FOR your protection, always keep records of all work done.

A word to the wise:

If you, as a professional gunsmith performing work on a gun for a client...or as an amateur tweaking a gun for a friend...should disable any safety device on said firearm, you assume the liability of doing so. When faced with a million-dollar lawsuit and/or criminal charges...even your best friend will be sorely tempted to lay the blame at your feet....even if the fault is entirely his,
    if there's a way to pass the buck, most will grasp at that straw.

Also consider the man who requests that the safety be modified and later puts a crippling round through his foot and can't work because of it. The bank is threatening to foreclose on his mortgage...His children can't go to college...His car is being repossessed...and you have a couple hundred thousand in assets. No. It makes no difference that he asked you to
    disable his safety. You're the knowledgeable guy. You KNEW better.

I'm with Wichaka...except that I'll say that no gunsmith with a lick of sense will do it. I won't remove a Series 80 system for anybody. All I'll do is tell them what they need and how to detail strip/reassemble the gun...and warn them that removing the safety is ill-advised. What they do after that is beyond my control.

Cheers all!

Cheers!
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 27th December 2004 at 13:38.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast