Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did something wrong...

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

I did something wrong...

Hello everyone, I'm not new to guns but I am to 1911's. I just bought Smith's new one and thought I should at least lube the slide rails before shooting it. It came apart fine but the part of the grip safety that pushes up on the firing pin block is hitting the back of the slide when I try to put the slide on the frame. I did something stupid; I just don't know what it was. If you look down on the frame, it's the small lever on the right. It is almost flush with the frame, but not enough to let the slide pass over it. I hope this makes sense and I hope this is an easy fix.

This is me:

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Posts liked by others
    Are you talking about the safety on the side of the frame? If so, push it down out of the way and the slide should go right back on for you. If it is the piece that I am thinking of, it can be easily worked with the right thumb and if you are holding the frame as if you were going to shoot, it can be easilt manipulated down and out of the way.

Jim
    Jim
    US Navy - 21 years and running.........
    SA Micro Compact - Loaded
    RIA 5" 1911 (modified to be a tack-driver)
    GSG 1911 22

Posts liked by others
    That's what it is for sure. Push it down and the slide will go right over it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    Thomas Jefferson

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jridg
    Are you talking about the safety on the side of the frame? If so, push it down out of the way and the slide should go right back on for you. If it is the piece that I am thinking of, it can be easily worked with the right thumb and if you are holding the frame as if you were going to shoot, it can be easilt manipulated down and out of the way.

Jim
    No, it's part of the grip safety. When I push on the grip safety, this little bar in the frame moves up; when I let go of the grip safety, it moves down but not far enough to let the slide go on. It's on the right side of the gun inside the frame.

Posts liked by others
    Odd, must be a Smith thingy, I'm not familiar with the part you are talking about.
    Jim
    US Navy - 21 years and running.........
    SA Micro Compact - Loaded
    RIA 5" 1911 (modified to be a tack-driver)
    GSG 1911 22

Posts liked by others
    If it is part of the grip safety it sounds like a Swartz safety. What model 1911 is it?

Posts liked by others

Exclamation Swartz safety

I believe is what youre talking about,and it SHOULD push back down with very little pressure , Is it possible you bumped it hard enough with the slide to slightly bend it where it wont retract?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    If it is part of the grip safety it sounds like a Swartz safety. What model 1911 is it?
    Well, it just says "SW1911" on the slide. It's semi-custom, with fitted parts and a rail for a flashlight. It has all the fancy parts and whatnot.

The problem is the lever in the frame that pushes up on the plunger safety in the slide, which keeps the gun from firing unless you are depressing the grip safety. Many people have this feature removed or disabled because it's annoying. I'm beginning to see why!

If I could figure out how to upload pictures to this forum, you would see right away what I'm talking about.

I didn't force anything so I can't believe I bent that lever. I may have tripped something inside the frame by accident that is keeping this lever from going flush with the slide.

It's okay, this is too hard to explain in print. I'll have to take it to someone.

Posts liked by others
    E-Mail me the pics and I'll host 'em and post 'em
    Last edited by BigSlick; 23rd June 2006 at 01:33.

Posts liked by others
    If it's a S&W 1911, it has a Swartz type firing pin safety. That piece is NOT part of the grip safety, but it is activated by the grip safety. As already noted, you should be able to just push it down with your thumb as the slide moves back over it. Are you by chance holding the grip safety in the depressed position while you try to push it down? Make certain the grip safety is released, then try again.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast