Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobtail an Officers model?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Bobtail an Officers model?

Can an Officers model be bobtailed?
    If not why?

This is big. Could be very big to the man that can do it.
    Theres a team of Yodas here. Lets see what we can do.
    In the right hands "On the ground in one round .45" Its a fact.
    Kimber 25th Anniversary Custom - - IAI Commander - - Charles D. 3.25"
    Colt Officers Custom - - Colt 1942 U.S. - - Walther PP Ultra

Posts liked by others
    Not enough room for an officers main spring. A bobtailed full size frame uses an officers main spring.

Posts liked by others
    With all due respect, that's not a good enough reason for me sir. Custom parts can be made. It has been done. Word is Tripp did it. Tails can be made, rods and springs can be made or re-configured.

Posts liked by others
    At some point, though, you run out of space.

If a bobtailed Government uses an Officers MSH, that's a half inch shorter than standard. The Officers MSH assembly also uses a sorter mainspring, a shorter MS retainer, and a shoter MS cap, just to make everything fit into the smaller envelope.

Now you want to take that already-shortened package and chop another half inch out of it. What you might want to do is buy a cheap Officers MSH (you can get one from CDNN for about $5 in nylon), cut it in half, and take a look to see if you think there's enough space in there to truncate it another half inch.

I'd be surprised.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Tried. "out of stock" rats rats rats......... Thanks for the info Hawk they got to come in sometime.

Posts liked by others
    Actually, Puffy, to my surprise I just discovered that there IS a ready-made MSH that's shorter than Officers length.

All the years I've owned my Para P12.45, I assumed ( ) that because the barrel is Officers length, the grip was also Officers length. I discovered this morning (wait, it's after midnight -- YESTERDAY morning) that it's the P13.45 that has an Officers length grip frame. The P12.45 MSH is perhaps another quarter of an inch shorter.

And you can get the housing and the internals from brownells for not a whole lot of money, because the MSH is nylon rather than steel.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric4509
    Not enough room for an officers main spring. A bobtailed full size frame uses an officers main spring.
    Somehow I am not entirely sure that the Government bobtails use an Officers MSH. From what I see in the pictures (I've obviously never owned a bobtail), the MSH seems like a normal one, only trimmed at the rear and with the hole relocated higher up. The internals may be Officers-length, but the housing seems like it is a full-length one.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    The main spring in a bobtail's mainspring housing is officers size. The space in the main spring housing will only accept an officers main spring. I own a Dan Wesson Bobtail.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Ric, you said mainspring. I "read" mainspring housing. My mistake. Indeed the spring should be an Officers one.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Not a problem 'El Commandante.' In my opinion I see no purpose in a bobtailed officers. The size itself is very concealable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast