Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bright Sights high-visibility gun sight coatings

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Bright Sights high-visibility gun sight coatings

Hello everybody!
    I am new here, and my English isn't the best, as I left school some 20 years ago and hadn't much practice since then. So, sorry and thank you for reading - and hopefully answering...
    Did anybody of you test / use "Bright Sights high-visibility gun sight coatings" by www.brightsights.com?
    I am looking for something to attract my eye-attention to the front-sight, but do not want to change the front sight to a fiber optic sight.
    Thank you very much in advance and have a good weekend!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mr45
    Hello everybody!
    I am new here, and my English isn't the best, as I left school some 20 years ago and hadn't much practice since then. So, sorry and thank you for reading - and hopefully answering...
    Did anybody of you test / use "Bright Sights high-visibility gun sight coatings" by www.brightsights.com?
    I am looking for something to attract my eye-attention to the front-sight, but do not want to change the front sight to a fiber optic sight.
    Thank you very much in advance and have a good weekend!
    I use a flouescent green model paint you can get from Walmart. Green is the only color I think they carry. Works great on the front sight. I use a tooth pick and just dab a touch of it in the hole. I use regular gloss white for the rear applied the same way. Seems to last a long time and cleaning solvents doesn't seem to affect it much.

Gary aka cornbread-red

Posts liked by others
    Cornbread, we're cut from the same cloth. I've been a long-time user of the Testors fluorescent yellow model paint on my Mil-Spec. A marked improvement over the standard white dots. I also used the same paint to touch up the rear face of the front sight on my wife's (former) G.I. to help with sight alignment. And best of all, when the paint wears or flakes off, just another "little dab will do ya"

Testors also makes other fluorescent colors, though it does seem that Wal-Mart only carries the yellow.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Mr45,

Welcome to the forum sir! I tried the white "Bright Sights" coatings on my front sight and was not impressed. Each time I clean my gun the solvents take the coating off. If you don't mind reapplying each time you clean that wouldn't be a problem but it sounds as if Cornbred and Tom have found a better choice.

Hersh

Posts liked by others
    The Testors paint often comes off during cleaning, too. The difference is that paint only costs $1.98, whereas the Bright Sights is $10-$15 depending on the type of application.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Bright Sights works great, if you stick with the standard colors. Do not bother with those that are supposed to glow in the dark, they do not work. But as others said, the results are pretty much the same if you use Testors or similar paints and at a much reduced cost.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Thank you very much for your assistance. I will go and have a look at Walmart - even if I am not sure, if they will have something like model paint here in Germany. In case I won't find anything like that I will follow John's hint and try to get some of the standard Bright Sights color. Thanks, you saved me money!

Peter.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    The Testors paint often comes off during cleaning, too. The difference is that paint only costs $1.98, whereas the Bright Sights is $10-$15 depending on the type of application.
    Probably fifteen years ago a gunsmith applied a white paint to the front sight of my BHP and it still looks as good as the day I left the shop. 'Wish I knew what he used

Hersh

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Thank you very much for your assistance. I will go and have a look at Walmart - even if I am not sure, if they will have something like model paint here in Germany. In case I won't find anything like that I will follow John's hint and try to get some of the standard Bright Sights color. Thanks, you saved me money!

Peter.
    You do have hobby shops in Germany. You know, the ones which sell model airplanes that you assemble yourself, model cars, model trains etc. Walk in one of them, and ask them for these paints. I am sure they'll have them.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Yes, we do have such shops. Thanks again, I'll try it there!

Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast