Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Easter
to all those who celebrate it.

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballester Molina rebuild?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Ballester Molina rebuild?

I'm looking at buying a Ballester Molina, and was thinking about having it refinished and/or rebuilt. What parts are easily replacable? Any recommendations on where to purchase a barrel, or sights, trigger, hammer, etc? I'm not really doing to as a collector, this will be shot extensively. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico
    I'm looking at buying a Ballester Molina, and was thinking about having it refinished and/or rebuilt. What parts are easily replacable? Any recommendations on where to purchase a barrel, or sights, trigger, hammer, etc? I'm not really doing to as a collector, this will be shot extensively. Thanks for the help.
    The Ballester-Molina was designed to accept standard Colt barrels, so finding a barrel should not be a problem for you. Beyond that I can't offer much information.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

To: skinewmexico
    Hello, I am the proud owner of a Ballester Molina (with argentine air force markings) and am in the process of buying another one (evidently a civilian issue). Your gunsmith can alter the hammer and make it look like a commander hammer and also some gunsmiths can make an ambidextrous safety for the ballester. Some cosmetic work can be done on the frame to make it look somewhat like a 1911 rather than an 1911 A1. Barrels, cross pin, bushings - basically from the barrel forward, it's a colt. As you can see, I am somewhat obsessed about them. I enjoy mine very much. Good luck with yours. Idaho John

Well, I had found two in one day, and they both sold before I could buy them, so I guess my Ballester plan is off.

Keep looking- not only will another come along, but they are worth waiting for. They are an excellent, reliable .45, at a fraction of the cost of a Colt. I have owned about six of them at one time or another, and have one now- I'm keeping it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms". Thomas Jefferson
    <0>

Picked up my arsenal rebuilt Ballester today. Shoots pretty well, slide seems kind of loose. I have got to get new sights, what's up with that skinny blade in the front?

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico
    Picked up my arsenal rebuilt Ballester today. Shoots pretty well, slide seems kind of loose. I have got to get new sights, what's up with that skinny blade in the front?
    It's basically just like the skinny GI 1911 sight it was copied from.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Will King's Gun Works sights fit one of these?

Skinewmexico: glad you got your ballester. A good 1911 gunsmith can help you with the slide issues. I didn't like the sight picture on one of my ballesters and had a bomar rib put on it that I had accumulated. This has made shooting fun for me as I am one of those guys that like to see how small of a group I can shoot. Good luck to you and I hope you get years of enjoyment with the ballester. Idaho John

the one thing that i wonder is whether the recoil spring/guide rod is interchangeable. The one that i am looking at the recoil spring is pretty much shot out and id hate to buy it only to damage it by shooting it with a worn spring in it.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.-george carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast