Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norinco!!!?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Okay...In light of all this new information, I need to pose "the million dollar question" to Y'all:

If I have the opportunity to purchase a Norinco 1911A1 in 95% to 98% condition, should I?.....or should I stick to the original plan of buying a SA GI or A/O and build off of that base?

thanks!

mg

Posts liked by others
    Tuner's call on that one... I have built on Springfield and A/O, but never a Norinco.
    Last edited by SargeMO; 12th March 2006 at 22:01.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I would ot compare an AO with either a SA or a Norinco. Although newer AO may be better than those of the before-Kahr era, I am just not sure about them.

Since you live in US, a Nork is a rarity, so I would get the Nork first. You can get a Springfield whenever you feel like it.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitch-U
    Okay...In light of all this new information, I need to pose "the million dollar question" to Y'all:

If I have the opportunity to purchase a Norinco 1911A1 in 95% to 98% condition, should I?.....or should I stick to the original plan of buying a SA GI or A/O and build off of that base?

thanks!

mg
    The Norinco is a very good choice. Be aware that there are a few that need
    adjustment in the vertical specs in ordr to get a really good barrel fit...whch includes swaging the frame rails, installing a hard-fit barrel, and other tasks in order to bring'em into line. This makes the Norinco more of a pistolsmith task
    than the Springfield would be. Of course, you may get one that's good to go.
    Three out of five that I bought were. The other two needed a few hours of attention before I was satisfied with'em.

The Springfields usually don't, and will often provide 90%+ vertical lug engagement with a Kart Easy-Fit barrel...and just adjusting the hood
    usually brings the first lug into play, while the Norincos often require
    facing one of the other lugs to make that happen. Provides at least two equalized lugs...which is good...but more tedious to obtain, and not a job for the inexperienced without hands-on instruction.

Other than those possible concerns with the Norinco, either one will do nicely.

I'd leave the AO alone....

Posts liked by others
    would it be fair to say that the problems you are experiencing with the norinco is all gone now since it been almost 10years since the US got a norinco, possibly norinco has cleaned up its act on those said issues in this thread???

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by KCboy
    would it be fair to say that the problems you are experiencing with the norinco is all gone now since it been almost 10years since the US got a norinco, possibly norinco has cleaned up its act on those said issues in this thread???
    I really think so. I cant hear anything wrong with norinco and most gunstore recommends norinco than our own products(armscor,sam,ria). When I bought my armscor they keep on convincing me that norinco is really tough but because of being a filipino and the armscor company is just few rides away I took armscor.I took armscor instead of norcs although the price of norc1911 .45 is lower than the armscor1911 9mm( i bought armscor 9mm). But Im planning also to take one norinco 1911 9mm this july 2006 gun show. god bless

STOP OR MY WIFE WILL SHOOT!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mismo
    I really think so. I cant hear anything wrong with norinco and most gunstore recommends norinco than our own products(armscor,sam,ria). When I bought my armscor they keep on convincing me that norinco is really tough but because of being a filipino and the armscor company is just few rides away I took armscor.I took armscor instead of norcs although the price of norc1911 .45 is lower than the armscor1911 9mm( i bought armscor 9mm). But Im planning also to take one norinco 1911 9mm this july 2006 gun show. god bless
    Isn't that interesting!! Locally made 1911s more expensive than an import, and Norinco at that. Norinco 1911 is a very good auto pistol and a very good platform for customization. I have a full size and have slightly customized it. I refinished the entire pistol with a Brownells Gun Kote. Fired 200 rds of 230 gr CCI Blazers fmj yesterday and as expected functioned flawlessly. You should get one.

Posts liked by others
    You mean like this one.

Norinco come in nickle? I cant figure out what this finish is. I wont to make it black.

Just too shinny for me but for $300 out the door! Hay I can live with it.

I havent looked at the other side but will soon just to check it out.

2ND/28TH Infantry 76-79

Posts liked by others
    To bad you folks south of the 49th can't get the new Norincos. Aside from poor sights and triggers the guns we get now function flawlessly, or at least the ones I have, are and do.

If you get a used Nork in the States do as Tuner suggested and have the barrel linkage checked along with the slide barrel lock-up. If you go for a custom job then you have a great platform to start with. New Sights, trigger group, tighter bushing and beavertail would be on my first list then go to dehorning, re-bluing and a little checkering here and there and you will have a gun that shoots with the best of them. I had my ful custom Nork out today and shot a 4" group two handed at 25 yards with a body and a set of eyes that have seen better days. In the hands of a couple of the ERT members of the RCMP the gun shoots 1 1/2" groups off hand with ease.

OR you can leave as is and have a great shooter in a mil-spec iteration that likely will function reliably with any kind of ammo you throw into her.

If I were you and was going to spend the money to customize a basic gun I would look at a Para SSP or a Springfield loaded. I suspect by the time you are done playing with a basic gun you will be over the price of one of the Production guns that may be more valuable to you but, like a hot rod, not near as much to anyone else. Today some of the production guns come well equiped and for less money than what it takes to customize a basic 1911.

Take Care Eh

Bob
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."
    - LtCol. Jeff Cooper as quoted in Guns & Ammo magazine, January 2002
    Last edited by robertbank; 14th October 2006 at 08:55.

Posts liked by others
    Take Bob's word for it. You'll be spending less if you buy a Para SSP/Loaded Springfield 1911A1 - e.g. PX9109L.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast