Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best small 1911?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Best small 1911?

I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.

My question is what is the best compact 1911?

I'm looking for probably a 3" - 3 1/2" and am willing to spend (within reason) what I need to for absolute reliability (which I know isn't easy with the short barrel guns).

So far, the Kimber Ultra CDP and the Springfield Ultra or Micro compact both look good to me.

I own a full size Springfield and couldn't be happier with it, however, I've heard some mixed things about Kimber reliability.

This gun will be for carry and my main concern is that it goes bang every time that I pull the trigger. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who's had experience with the small 1911's- good or bad.

-John

Posts liked by others
    Don't forget the Para Ordnance "Warthog" (if you want double stack) or "Slim Hawg" (if you want single stack). But I haven't personally fired any of the subcompact 1911s, the smallest I have fired is an Officers model.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have and older springfield compact that is ported it shoots good but doesn't like any mags that didn't come with the pistol for some reason. I also have a kimber compact CDP which isn't the 3" but the 4" barrel. it is my main carry weapon. its an awsome gun. Its also internal extractor wich is what you are hearing all the debate about is the kimber External extractor vs internal extractor. I personally went with the original desighn but i have friends with the 3" CDP with the external extractor and they are very reliable. My feeling about the extractor issue is if Kimber is going back to internal that must tell you something but the probability that if you buy one with an external that doesn't work is very slim because most do.

In my opinion if you want one of the best, get a Kimber CDP or if you cant spend quit that much Springfield is still a good buy.
    United States Marine Corp. I'll bleed on the flag so the stripes stay red.

Posts liked by others
    The Colt Officers/Compact models are excellent smaller framed 1911s.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedsouthernEr
    I have and older springfield compact that is ported it shoots good but doesn't like any mags that didn't come with the pistol for some reason. I also have a kimber compact CDP which isn't the 3" but the 4" barrel. it is my main carry weapon. its an awsome gun. Its also internal extractor wich is what you are hearing all the debate about is the kimber External extractor vs internal extractor. I personally went with the original desighn but i have friends with the 3" CDP with the external extractor and they are very reliable. My feeling about the extractor issue is if Kimber is going back to internal that must tell you something but the probability that if you buy one with an external that doesn't work is very slim because most do.

In my opinion if you want one of the best, get a Kimber CDP or if you cant spend quit that much Springfield is still a good buy.
    Is the compact CDP that you have the one with the small frame and longer barrel?

I also heard that the internal extractor is better. It doesn't seem hard to find one with the internal (according to some of the pictures that I've seen in online auctions and such).

You said that Kimber is going back to the internal extractor- is that what is in current production if I were to get a new one now?

-John

Posts liked by others
    Yes the Compact is the Smaller Frame with the 4" barrel. I dont know if they are in current production but i do know they are not hard to find. The gunstshop i shop at has them but i cant speak for where you live.
    United States Marine Corp. I'll bleed on the flag so the stripes stay red.

Posts liked by others
    Transdude, if you are willing to look at 3-1/2" barrels, I'd suggest a Colt Officers (or "Compact" in the M1991A1 series) or a Para Ordnance OPS model.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I love my Ultra CDP....so does my wife, so now I'm looking at the Nighthawk Talon IV....I don't think I can resist. As good as the Kimber is, the Nighthawk sounds that much better.

Posts liked by others
    You'll find more reliability in barrels longer than 3" or 3-1/2". I have two Kimber Ultra CDPs (a 3rd one would not run - external extractor) and a Colt Officers in stainless. Of the 3, the Officers and one Ultra CDP are 100%, the other Ultra CDP is still improving as I shoot it (<1000 rounds); it is about 98-99% now.

You might want to look at Officers (Colt called them Compacts too) used, they are reasonable $$ in good condition. Also consider the Kimber Compact which marries the Ultra (Officers) frame with the Pro (Commander) slide. It is a 4" slide without the dual co-axial recoil spring. IMHO it will be more reliable than the 3" and not that much harder to conceal (esp. IWB) as the grip is the harder to conceal part IMHO.

The Kimber reliability issues of late were mostly related to the external extractor AFAIK. The 2006 catalog makes no mention of Tactical extractors and I haven't seen one at my Master Dealer for a couple months.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...
    Posts are my opinion based on my experience; YMMV.

Posts liked by others
    Transdude, I have had the Springfield Ultra Compact, but mine qas totally stainless frame & slide. It weight about 32 oz.'s which can be heavy for a carry gun. I really liked the Ultra Compact. I was at a gun shop the other day & the dealer was showing me the new SA Micro Compact this gun had the melt down treatment & night sights. He told me that they have been very reliable, but he price seemed high to me it was close to $900.00 gulp!! I guess it depends on what you want to spend. But then this last Saturday I was at another sporting goods store there was a Para Ordnance Officers sized 1911, on the frame it said "Slim Hawg" it was a .45 acp. I was very impressed with it the price on it was about $699.00 still alot of money. But anything made by SA, Kimber, Colt, & Para Ordnance should be a very nice gun, it just depends on what features you want. One thing to consider the SA Champion LW GI weights 28 oz.'s that is not bad and the GI 1911's can be a nice gun to customize as well, these guns new are about $430.00 Good Luck!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast