Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Overtravel

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Trigger Overtravel

I see the allen screw in the trigger of my Kimber and understand that it is to adjust for "trigger overtravel". I'll ask a dumb question - what is trigger overtravel?

Posts liked by others
    The amount the trigger will continue to move after the hammer drops.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Posts liked by others

Trigger Overtravel

Quote Originally Posted by wichaka
    The amount the trigger will continue to move after the hammer drops.
    Let me shed some light on my lack of knowledge

I too have noticed the screw on the trigger of my Custom II. Is adjusting this screw recommended for mere mortals like me or is it something that should be done under the watchful eye of a gunsmith? Will it have any affect on the weight of the trigger pull?

Thanks in advance!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bharen
    Let me shed some light on my lack of knowledge

I too have noticed the screw on the trigger of my Custom II. Is adjusting this screw recommended for mere mortals like me or is it something that should be done under the watchful eye of a gunsmith? Will it have any affect on the weight of the trigger pull?

Thanks in advance!
    It is extremly easy to do, if you can screw in and unscrew a screw and pull the trigger then you can do it. As far as trigger pull I'm not sure but it will remove overtravel which makes a better trigger. In order to adjust it screw it in until you can't make the hammer fall when you pull the trigger, then slowly unscrew it while checking as soon as the hammer starts to fall when the trigger is pulled unscrew another 1/4-1/2 turn and you'll be good to go.
    "NGFL"

Posts liked by others

Overtravel

If you have owned and worked on 1911's for awhile, you can probaly do your own overtravel adjustments. Just make those adjustments in VERY small increments...!!! Question #2....No...
    "When in doubt, empty the magazine"..!!

Posts liked by others
    If you haven't changed the trigger, then it's best to just leave it alone since Kimber sets them at the factory and uses threadlocker to keep them in place.

It will have no affect at all on the trigger pull weight.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose63845
    It is extremly easy to do, if you can screw in and unscrew a screw and pull the trigger then you can do it. As far as trigger pull I'm not sure but it will remove overtravel which makes a better trigger. In order to adjust it screw it in until you can't make the hammer fall when you pull the trigger, then slowly unscrew it while checking as soon as the hammer starts to fall when the trigger is pulled unscrew another 1/4-1/2 turn and you'll be good to go.
    Moose stated it very well.......

If that last part isnt done, you'll ruin your trigger pull weight and/or how it feels.......as the sear wont clear the hammer hooks completely.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK, maybe we should make a sticky for this one.

The overtravel screw adjusts the travel of the trigger, after it releases the sear from the hammer, i.e. after the hammer falls. It has no effect on the trigger pull.

Why it is there? So that when you pull the trigger, and after the hammer falls, there is not too much travel. The more the trigger travels to the rear, the more it will have to travel to the front, to reset the firing mechanism, so this is time lost, between your first and second shot.

If on the other hand there is no travel after the hammer drops, there are some serious issues. First the sear nose, as Wichaka explains, drug on the hammer and can destroy a perfectly good trigger job. Second, since your finger is pressing back on the trigger, even after the hammer falls (for some fractions of a second), and since you are now pressing the trigger on the frame, there is a possibility that the aiming of the pistol is affected (usually the shots will go low), becaise you are moving the frame, while the bullet is still in the barrel. Splitting hair? Most probably, but I like my trigger to have some overtravel.

And that screw DOES NOT AFFECT THE TRIGGER PULL!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Well, I have been making trigger travel adjustments to various paintball markers for several years now. I used to be in the business of anodizing... Anyway, as far as trigger pull and travel on my Kimber, it feels just right, out of the box. I woulsn't want it any lighter, for saftey's sake, and I think the overall pull is short enough. It initially had some creep before the hammer would drop, but now after 1300 rounds, it snaps beautifully. Last Sunday at the range, I had people complimenting both my .45, and my shooting, so I guess it's adjusted fine and broken in. Unless you notice a real long jump after the hammer falls, I wouldn't mess with the factory overtavel setting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast