Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to Do Now

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

What to Do Now

This is my first post to this forum. I finally received my 1911A1 RIA last week, and only had time to put about 50 rounds through it before this weekend. This only matters because I used the weapon to shoot the qualification course for the Kansas CCW permit over the weekend. While the Rock and I were able to shoot perfect scores in both the practice and final qualification rounds, I now have "hammer bite" so bad I will not be shooting strong hand for a few days or so.

As such I am looking to install a beavertail and hammer that draw a little less blood. I understand that most beavertails require a small modification to the frame. I have no problem purchasing a jig for this and doing the work to remove the metal. However, I have two questions about doing so.
    1) How do you refinish the modified area so that it matches the rest of the weapon?
    2) Does making this modification void the warranty on the weapon?

Finally, if modifying the weapon does void the warranty, (which I expect it does) can someone recommend a good drop in beavertail and hammer combo that is not too spendy?

Posts liked by others
    Technical putting the new beaver tail does void the warranty, but I'm changing the beavertail so that won't happen anymore. Have it done by a good gunsmith. Let me know if you have problems.

Posts liked by others
    A lot of people use drop-in beavertails, like those made by Wilson, for their RIAs. They may not look as clean as a fitted beavertail, but they will get the job done and usually require no modification to your pistol's frame.

Posts liked by others

New Beavertail

Quote Originally Posted by thepresAPI/RIA
    Technical putting the new beaver tail does void the warranty, but I'm changing the beavertail so that won't happen anymore. Have it done by a good gunsmith. Let me know if you have problems.
    Nice move Sir. Please, will this new one be available for purchase to replace the ones we have on our RIAs.

Posts liked by others
    You can also get a combat style grip safety and you won't have to do any cutting on the frame...

Posts liked by others
    Hi Blacksmith - Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Rock. Enjoy. BobL

Posts liked by others
    Does adding a drop in grip safety void the waranty??? Or, is it only if I actually have to modify the frame???
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." Will Rogers....

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I think a drop-in safety will not alter your warranty, as long as no modifications are made to the rest of the gun. And there is no reason to do any such modifications, when installing a drop-in safety, if something needs to be done, it should be on the safety itself.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Welcome Blacksmith
    About a drop in beavertail safety?
    I recomend a Wilson Combat #429 High Ride drop-in beavertail safety grip. you dont need to cut and file your frame to fit the beavertail. however you will remove a small amount of metal, slight modifications to the beavertails trigger engagement area may be required for proper operation..and a pair of commander hammer & sear would be great.

Posts liked by others
    I agree on the Wilson drop-in. Excellent quality, and although it's not quite the same as one with a radiused frame tang, the drop-in fits the standard frame tang very nicely and doesn't look "cobbled up" in any way.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast