Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Slide Easy Pull

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Slide Easy Pull

I'm a newby when it comes to the 1911. My question is whether or not there is a way to provide an easy pull to the slide on my 1911 Colt Series 70. When purchased, it had been completely re-blued inside and out, by the Colt Custom Shop. It being my first 1911, I assumed the hard pull was due to the new installed/blued parts or the minor arthritis in my hands. However, when I recently visited my favorite gun shop, I handled a used Kimber Poly Ten, which to my surprise, had the easiest slide pull I have even tried. Also, I found that if I cock the hammer, on my Series 70, before pulling the slide, it helps some. But, I would like to find out if there is something that could be done (replace springs, hammer, etc.) that would make it more like the Kimber slide, and offer an easy slide pull all of the time. Please help! I welcome any suggestions. Thanks from the Bluegrassstate.

Posts liked by others
    Most resistance is with the recoil spring. The used gun may have had more rounds fired (thus weakening the spring). You should have a 18.5# spring is you are shooting 230gr "hard ball" ammo.

The lube on the slide rails could have something to do with the resistance also. Some people do not recommend using oil only on the slide rails.

The collet barrel bushing may also have a hand in applying resistance.

Get with a local gun smith. Change the collet bushing out. Use a different lubricant.

Good Shooting

Posts liked by others
    The big thing I've found is to cock the hammer before trying to rack the slide. I have found little difference in how much effort it takes to run the slide with recoil springs from 11 to 18 pound, but there is a huge difference in how much effort is needed between having the hammer down or cocked.

Posts liked by others
    Another alternative, if you're looking to modify the handgun is a 'slide cocker.' Brownell's sells 2 of them. Items numbers are 129-400-001 and 375-101-100.

Good luck in your search, and happy (hopefully painless) shooting.

-Nikolai
    Charles Austin Beard: "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go around repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."

Posts liked by others
    You should have a 18.5# spring is you are shooting 230gr "hard ball" ammo.
    Really, I thought 16# was recommended for hardball.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    the most relief I felt on mine to pull the slide was when i went to a 19# mainspring, slides real easy now with the hammer up, I left the stock recoil spring in...
    not to mention i polished the slide rails...