Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: what finish for colt LW Commander?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

what finish for colt LW Commander?

I want to re-finish my Colt Commander (aluminum frame) after gun smith work. Tired of thin blue finish surface rusting. Want to keep it black, if possible but want it durable to the extreme! What finish to use?
    Thought about Ceracoat, does it work on aluminum frame? NP3, tough not dark but would work. Help me out on this, guys.

Posts liked by others
    Are you concerned about the slide rusting? You mention an alloy frame, but aluminum alloy doesn't rust, and alloy frames can't be blued, they are typically anodized.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Wilson Combat refinished my LW Commander in Armor-Tuff and I'm very happy with the results. I had the frame done in green with the slide and all small parts black.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/1911-cu...tion/#finishes

Posts liked by others
    Ion Bond is a hard dark treatment/finish. I think they can even apply it to aluminum. Expensive, though.

The spray n bake coatings like Cerakote will work on steel and aluminum. The applier needs to know what he is doing, aluminum needs to be blasted just enough to roughen it for "tooth" to hold the coating but not to grind all the anodized surface away.

If your aluminum frame was not cut up in the gunsmithing or much worn, I would leave it alone. I have a Sig-Sauer that was exposed to smoke and water. The steel finish is blotchy without being rusty, but the anodized aluminum receiver was untouched.

Posts liked by others
    Don't be intimidated by what you may hear about Cerakote. I've done several 1911 frames and a two AR receivers and I find it's easier to work with than most spay paints. After some disappointing results using Brownell's Gunkote, I bought a cheap air brush set up from a local craft store and so far the Cerakote has held up very well. You will get a much nicer, uniform finish if you lightly sand blast or glass bead first, but it will stick to just about any surface as long as it's free of grease or oil of any kind, even oil from you hands. With the air brush it dries almost instantly, and you can recoat as needed, hang it in a toaster oven for a couple hours and your good to go.
    Likes (1) :
    oldCop (26th September 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I had my old LW Commander's frame Cerakoted and I'm very happy with the results. However, I left the slide in the original blue, and I think the contrast is pretty attractive.