Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 TCM Question

Posts liked by others

22 TCM Question

I am getting very interested in the 22 TCM Full Size. However, I live in Colorado and we are now restricted to magazines of 15 rounds or less. I know RIA makes a single stack 22 TCM so that is the way I will have to go. The distributor ads for the single stack with the included 9mm barrel set up all indicate the pistol comes with only one magazine. My Question: Will a standard 1911 9mm magazine also work with the 22 TCM? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks for looking. Keep Shootin'

Posts liked by others
    The single stack .22 TCM is probably too new for anyone to know but, in all probability, the answer is yes. Regular Rock Island 1911s, both .45 Auto and 9mm, work with other makes of magazine, and I don't think they re-engineered the receiver when they came out with the .22 TCM.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    There are 2 22TCM rounds; 22TCM length of 38 Super and 22TCM 9R length of 9mm. More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM. Google for more info.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bobskeep View Post
    There are 2 22TCM rounds; 22TCM length of 38 Super and 22TCM 9R length of 9mm. More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM. Google for more info.
    Based on this information, then, a standard 9mm 1911 magazine will not work for the standard .22 TCM cartridge, but standard .38 Super magazines should work.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have a RIA 22TCM/9mm convertible. Mine is the high cap, and has a Para type frame and Para Mags from my 9mm Hicap Para are interchangeable. I tried some factory 22TCM ammo in standard single stack 9mm Mags and factory ammo is slightly too long. Standard single stack mags for .38 super work fine. outside dimensions for 9mm single stacks and .38 super are the same. The only difference is that the 9mm mags will have either a small spacer at the back or a pressed in area at the front to position the 9mm cartridge properly for better feed reliability. I have used .38 super mags with 9mm rounds in my 9mm Springfield with no trouble. I would expect the mag supplied with the gun is 38 super compatible and regular .38 super mags would be fine. You should be able to contact RIA customer service to confirm. Chat, email and Phone listed at http://armscor.com/contact-us/usa-contacts/

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon and sliphorn, Thanks to you both. You have answered my question. I will just have to add proper mags once I make the jump. Thanks again. Keep Shootin'

Posts liked by others
    i have a single-stack .22TCM, and use regular 1911 9mm and .38 Super mags.

Another option is to buy the double--stack version, and get or make 'restricted' mags.

mbogo

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo View Post
    i have a single-stack .22TCM, and use regular 1911 9mm and .38 Super mags.

Another option is to buy the double--stack version, and get or make 'restricted' mags.

mbogo
    I don't think that making an insert to basically give you a thicker baseplate on the mag would be that difficult. The question would be what sort of rules that state has with respect to the reversibility of such a modification. I accidentally ordered a 10-round .38 SUPER double-stack magazine for my RIA after I bought the handgun. I didn't even *know* that they made anything other than the full capacity mags and didn't notice the difference between the two mags until I tried to load the new one and discovered that I could not load it all the way. The way that they made the mag only hold 10 rounds was to put a round dent in the mag so that the follower could only go down so far.

Here's what the normal and 10-round mags looked like:

Here's what they both look like disassembled. You can see that they look very similar. Surprisingly, the 10-round mag looks like it has a longer spring.

So, what I did was take the 10-round mag and drill out the dimple. When I contacted Mec-gar about that, they said that I would not be able to do it since it was hardened steel, but starting out with a small drill and a drill press and working my way up, I was able to drill it out.

I wanted to drill as small of a hole as possible and I got pretty close, but I was still getting a bit of resistance to movement of the follower past where the dimple used to be, so I took a dremel-type tool with a die grinder type bit on it and ground off the inside edges. That seemed to be all that was necessary. You need to get the ridges of the hole down below the level of the ribs in the mag. Looks like there are dimples on both sides of the mag, so you need to repeat these procedures for the other side.

If someone does not live in a "free state", they would be needing to go the other way. I'm thinking they could epoxy in some ridges that were a bit higher than the existing ridges in the magazine, but only go up to the point where the dimple would normally be located if they were trying to make a 10-round mag or somewhat lower if they were trying to make an only slightly restricted capacity magazine.

And here is the single stack full size RIA commemorative model that I have.

When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 15th August 2017 at 04:46.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by galena View Post
    I am getting very interested in the 22 TCM Full Size. However, I live in Colorado and we are now restricted to magazines of 15 rounds or less. I know RIA makes a single stack 22 TCM so that is the way I will have to go. The distributor ads for the single stack with the included 9mm barrel set up all indicate the pistol comes with only one magazine. My Question: Will a standard 1911 9mm magazine also work with the 22 TCM? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks for looking. Keep Shootin'
    GALENA,
    The .38 Super mags will work. The .38 Super mag will accomodate the .22TCM and the 9MM.
    Blackie

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bobskeep View Post
    Bob,
    The 22TCM 9R is for the conversion for the Glock conversion kit, however it will run in the 1911 version.
    Blackie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast