Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1966 Colt Gold Cup NM

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1966 Colt Gold Cup NM

I was in my favorite gun store yesterday and I came across an older gold cup nm, it had a different barrel and barrel bushing, don't know about whats inside, But my question to the forum is this sight that is on this gun I'm certain it's not original (could be wrong too) It's a Bomar sight but it runs the full length of the slide, it has three countersunk screws attaching it to the slide, I'm certain there are a few people that can describe this, I'm not looking to buy it since it has this attached to slide, any info can be helpful thanks so much all...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    I believe this Bomar sight predated the Bomars we now know.

This was from way back when people believed that extra weight in the slide slowed it down and helped control recoil (a belief probably propagated thanks to slow-recoiling target guns in .38 Special). We now know that extra weight is good, but not if it's reciprocating...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Full length ribs were very common on NRA Centerfire and Bigbore guns in the iron sight era. Now the optical sight is the way to go.
    If it has a different barrel and bushing, it is a full accuracy job on top of whatever you get with a Gold Cup.

Not recommended for use with hardball ammunition, the extra recoil might break those three screws and throw the rib at your head.

Posts liked by others
    Looks like a Bomar rib. They still make ones like these I think. Someone also really roughed up the front of the grip. Here is a 66 I bought from a friend a couple years ago.

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Thanks all for your input, yes Jim I think it was used more for accuracy type competition and yes Dakota1911 the front stamp has a lot of stippling on it, it looks like it was applied, feels good in the hand. What would a gun in this shape be a worth? It's got a $650 price tag, be nice to be able to shot it, yea I agree definitely light loads. Thanks all

Posts liked by others
    Yes what you are describing is a classic bomar rib bullseye pistol. At $650 hard to go wrong, as long as you are happy to shoot as is. I have seen people in the past remove the rib and try to bring these pistols up to "modern" standard with newer sights but the result is usually pretty ugly with the extra slide holes

Posts liked by others
    I have an old Series 70 that someone (not me) added an aftermarket front sight that was attached with one screw. My local smith switched it back to a crimped on front sight. In the process he welded up the old mounting hole and touched it up with cold blue--almost invisible unless you really look for it.