Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag Primer use with .45 ACP reloading

Posts liked by others

Mag Primer use with .45 ACP reloading

Howdy,

I accidentally grabbed a 100 count box of CCI Large Mag Pistol primers when I meant to grab Large Pistol Primers. I'm assuming that I've just wasted $3.00 but I thought I should at least ask the experts. Can you use mag primers with standard ACP loads?

Thanks

Posts liked by others
    Yup-I use what I have.If your real worried you can always knock your powder charge back a bit.I have used magnum primers with all my loads and to be honest have noticed no difference.Of coarse I never load to max anyways.
    KRUNCHNIK
    THE CROW
    PRIMARY-KIMBER ULTRA CARRY II
    Likes (1) :
    KERA (29th July 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I have heard of people using them, But I would not.
    The added pressure isn't worth blowing up my gun.

Posts liked by others
    If you're going to use magnum primers, you need to find loading data for magnum primers, and work up your loads from scratch. Don't just switch to magnum primers and keep loading the same bullets and the same powder charge.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon gave some good advice.

Any time I have used magnum primers, I also used a slower powder and started about 20% less that what is called for. Load a few and shoot them, then look of signs of over pressure. So far no problems, but you do use them at your own risk, unless you can find some load data for them.

Posts liked by others
    Been there, done that.
    No Chrono, then or now, but all I saw was an increase in group size. If you don't mind about a 1-2" increase in group size at 25 yards, they work fine. No increase in felt recoil or any other indication of higher pressure.
    Standard, non-tested, recommendation for decades has been to reduce the powder charge by 2% and work up.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Standard, non-tested, recommendation for decades has been to reduce the powder charge by 2% and work up.
    Only 2%? Did you mean 20%?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    No, for years the standard "rule of thumb" was if you changed powder lot number, cases, or primers, you should reduce the load by 2% and work it back up.
    Why would you EVER reduce 20%, when start loads are just 10% of max loads?
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    No, for years the standard "rule of thumb" was if you changed powder lot number, cases, or primers, you should reduce the load by 2% and work it back up.
    Why would you EVER reduce 20%, when start loads are just 10% of max loads?
    2 percent isn't much. I can see that if you're doing maximum loads and you change something as simple as brand of case or powder lot, because those shouldn't make much difference. Maybe even changing brand of primer. But jumping from a standard primer to a magnum primer? Are you certain the 2 percent advice applies to THAT change? That just doesn't seem right.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast