Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Gold Cup National Match sight pin replacement

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Gold Cup National Match sight pin replacement

After a bit of a hiatus, I'm back shooting again, and we've found that my wife likes shooting my Gold Cup, too (although she's eyeing a 1911 in 9mm for a present).

When I was here last, I'd lost the pin in the Elliason sight. Colt doesn't send them out, probably because they don't use this anymore.

I tried a drill shank, but that failed, too, on a league night. One of the counter jockey's found a roll pin that fit, although it was too long by a 1/8 or so, and stuck out the sides, adding yet another sharp edge. After that, I wasn't shooting it too much, until this February when my wife & I both bought the Sig ittybitty P938. When we did that, I had the LGS gunsmith put in a new roll pin.

Tonight, that broke. Just a tiny bit of one side of one end, and that was enough to throw it all off.

I've found Kensight's pins, and their shipping costs aren't bad; I might get 3 sets, and that will keep it under $30. Then I'll just need to find a brass drift punch to put a little bend in the pin.

I'm also going to approach the LGS, tell them they cut the roll pin too short, and that's what caused it to break (I didn't lose the pin, and I can show them). They'd charged by $35 to put it in, and we've dropped a bunch of coin there on guns, ammo, and training ... I think I might be able to convince them to redo this job, once.

I guess this is just a rant. The wife called me over to her lane where she was shooting the 45 (the larger grip makes it easier for her to shoot than the tiny Sig), and said "It's crooked!" Of course, it was near closing time, and there was no gunsmith.

I'll keep you posted.

If anyone has insomnia, here's the original, short, thread. http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...light=elliason

Posts liked by others
    That pin has been an issue on many of my Gold Cups. Best wishes on getting it fixed correctly and it staying fixed.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    How come I keep hearing about this happening with known-brand adjustable rear sights, but I've never heard of it happening with cheap (eg. LPA) versions of the same or similar sights? I know they have their differences, but they all have the same [-ish] pin..!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I scrounged lengths of welding wire for my 'smith to use for sight pins, etc. Stainless and Inconel.

I wonder how a piece of spring wire the right diameter would hold up.

Posts liked by others
    LGS found a solid pin, and replaced it this afternoon, gratis.
    Maybe spending a bunch of jingle there paid off :-)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I wonder how a piece of spring wire the right diameter would hold up.
    I've a feeling spring wire (aka piano wire or music wire) would hold up best of all. Any good hobby shop with a stock of metals from K&S Metals... http://ksmetals.com/ ...should have some. Only question would be the size.

Recommend cutting music with with either a Dremel emery wheel or #2193 hard wire cutters from Xuron: http://xuron.com/ Music wire is extraordinarily hard (RC41-60) and will turn most wire cutters into a wire stripper.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 26th July 2017 at 11:19.

Posts liked by others
    I've "heard" that it's the bouncing up and down that beats-up the Elliason, and that compressing a piece of shok-buf, or other resilient plastic, between the sight body and slide will help. I used a piece of drill rod on mine, it worked, but didn't put many rounds through it before the windage adjustment broke.
    To add insult to injury, I replaced the Elliason with a Wilson Combat sight designed specifically to fit the Gold Cup, after machining the slide, and broke two of those in short order, too.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    I was just lucky. I had two Gold Cups and neither one of them broke a sight pin. The only sight pin ever broken on my watch was the one I broke myself while attempting to replace an Accro sight with an Elliason. On a Python. I think it still has the ugly roll pin, but then it is a revolver.

The only sight I have ever had kick loose was the front sight on my Colt SM ACE .22. That was ok, an opportunity to put on a taller front blade to let me get it zeroed.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    I've "heard" that it's the bouncing up and down that beats-up the Elliason. . .
    If so, that makes it sound like the little spring that forces the elevation part upward might be too weak.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 26th July 2017 at 16:22.