Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 80% build brass dust problem

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    It is difficult for me to tell from the photo. Is there some shaving of the primer on the round on the far right? I have Ruger LC9 where the firing pin hole occaisionally shaves the primer.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    Another method of checking headspace without a go-nogo gauge goes like this - if you have a slide caliper with a depth rod or a depth micrometer:

• With the gun in battery, measure the gap between the barrel hood and the breech face.
    • Remove the barrel and clean it well, paying particular attention to the chamber stop shoulder area.
    • Measure the distance from the barrel hood to the chamber stop shoulder.
    • The sum of those two distances is the static headspace of the gun and it should be from 0.754" to 0.776"
    Another way to check headspace is the remove the upper assembly from the receiver and assemble the barrel and barrel bushing into the slide. Put a round into the chamber and manually push the barrel into battery. From the underside, see if you can fit an old-fashioned automotive feeler gauge between the case head and the breech face.

Try it with the barrel held forward, and again with the barrel held to the rear.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 10th June 2019 at 01:03. Reason: Typo

Posts liked by others
    The surface of aluminum is a layer of aluminum oxide.

The same aluminum oxide used to make abrasives.

Posts liked by others
    I've checked the headspace and it is good. Also smoothed the breech face (it was pretty rough). Haven't had time to go thru the timing tests, so I will probably take it to the range on Friday or Saturday and see if I've made any improvement.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://biblia.com/books/NIV/Mark75"
    Mark75[/URL]H;993419]I've checked the headspace and it is good. Also smoothed the breech face (it was pretty rough). Haven't had time to go thru the timing tests, so I will probably take it to the range on Friday or Saturday and see if I've made any improvement.
    Good plan, one thing at a time or, if corrected you still will not know what was causing it.
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum . . . <))>(

Posts liked by others
    Got to shoot it a couple times since last year, but forgot to collect spent brass until this week. The cleaning up of the breech face was the biggest improvement, but there was still a little dust showing up.

Brass is now remarkably free of marks - shows that the breech face and extractor were both making marks. The only mark remaining is the ejector. The ejector has to make some kind of mark - but its not a simple dent, its a scratchy dent. I'm getting ejection that I like, but apparently the tip isn't smooth and is not only hitting, but also scratching. I knew the ejector was rough when I installed it, but was impressed with the action so I forgot that the tip was actually unfinished. I need to look carefully at good ejectors before I smooth this out with a stone.

Many thanks for all the help here!
    Last edited by Mark75H; 30th June 2018 at 09:11.

Posts liked by others
    Stoned the tip smooth and took the gun to the range again. Now I have a cleaner ejector mark on the cases and not a speck of brass debris in the gun.

Appears the main problem was the rough breach face of the Rock Island slide and the fit being slightly tight.

Posts liked by others
    Started seeing a tiny amount of very fine brass dust again but puzzled where it could be coming from. Saw a picture on another forum of correct extractor to case fit. The nose of the extractor was still touching the cases so I shortened the nose again so that it clearly clears every case. Now I worry that the tip of the hook may be too sharp and break sometime in the future. Will be keeping a close eye on it - and considering trying a replacement.

Posts liked by others
    Saw a picture on another forum of correct extractor to case fit.
    Correct according to whoever posted the picture, but not correct according to either Colt or Army Ordnance.

FWIW, an M1911 built to mid-spec Army Ordnance dimensions will see the tip of the extractor hook in contact with the extraction groove bevel when the gun's in battery. My suspicion is that it was designed for that contact to push the chambered round forward against the chamber stop should for a more solid firing pin strike.

Most here shudder in horror at such a condition. My wadcutter gun's been making such contact since the 1960's without a problem, so I don't sweat the small stuff.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (9th June 2019)

Last edited by niemi24s; 9th June 2019 at 15:48.

Posts liked by others
    Interesting thread. My Para P18.9 also shaves brass from somewhere. It too is chambered in 9mm. It has been doing it either from the start or for a very long while. It's otherwise reliable as can be.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast