Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Kimber 1911 3 inch barrel reliability

Posts liked by others

Question Kimber 1911 3 inch barrel reliability

I keep hearing, reading an seeing a lot of people, some of whom are trainers, trashing 3 inch 1911s, particularly Kimbers . After break in, I personally have not had a reliability problem with my Kimber Ultra Covert. I would like to hear from some folks, who have carried, and shot their Kimber Ultras, a whole lot, and relate your experiences. Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    I have not shot a real lot from my Ultra Carry but the 300 or better rounds all functioned.A mixture of ball ammo and Golden Saber in 185Gr and 230Gr-all fed properly using 2-Wilson Combat HD mags-2 Kimber Tac mags and 1 worn half way out Colt mag.
    KRUNCHNIK
    THE CROW
    PRIMARY-KIMBER ULTRA CARRY II

Posts liked by others
    I have an older Ultra (bought back in '06, made in '05) that I had to do a good bit of work on to make it reliable. It did make a trip back to kimber, when they "sort of fixed" one problem, but created another.

I sold off all my other kimbers, but kept the Ultra CDP II, as it was an anniversary present from the wife.

I don't frequent kimber forums much anymore, but there seem to be less complaints about them than there used to be.

Good luck with yours!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick
    http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
    IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 10th June 2017 at 18:48.

Posts liked by others
    I have a nice Ultra CDP II I purchased in November 2016. The first ~300 rounds it would not completely go into battery when inserting a full magazine after firing close to 100 rounds. Usually a tap in the back of the slide would put it into battery. I figured a tight gun and residue from firing caused it to hang like described.

Once I passed that magic 500 rounds that Kimber recommends for break in it's been fine. It's a quality piece in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Pete
    NRA member

Posts liked by others
    I bought a used Ultra RCP. The owner said it was a ! When racking the slide it felt like is was full of sand. It was! Detail stripped, lubed, reassembled (thank you Ultra tool!). It's been perfect since. The previous owner obviously didn't shoot it much. Still very tight. Maybe too tight for sand? It's been utterly reliable for 300+ rounds of assorted high dollar defense, cheap hardball and my home brew hand loads.

Posts liked by others
    my ultra has had approx. 500 rounds through it using my reloads and factory hb. the only problem the gun has had is an occasional ftrb where a tap on the back of the slide will fix it. i have found this usually does not happen if the gun is well lubed.

Posts liked by others
    I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Colt Defender and was not lucky with .45 ACP 3" barrels. Both pistols I bought NIB. I found them to be very finicky. In my experience, I could have been not so lucky, they are not reliable. Accuracy? Yes! My 2 cents!!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by edw794 View Post
    my ultra has had approx. 500 rounds through it using my reloads and factory hb. the only problem the gun has had is an occasional ftrb where a tap on the back of the slide will fix it. i have found this usually does not happen if the gun is well lubed.
    It sounds like the extractor tension may be a little too heavy. If the FTRB's get more frequent as the pistol gets dirtier with firing; that's an indicator.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick
    http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
    IDPA Certified Safety Officer