Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Accidentally engaging thumb safety when shooting

Posts liked by others

Accidentally engaging thumb safety when shooting

I took my kimber ultra covert to the range, and a few times, my thumb rose up slightly, but just enough to engage the thumb safety partially, and of course, this prevented me from firing, until I swiped the thumb safety down, to continue firing. I use the two hand thumbs forward method to grip the pistol. I have large, but not extra large hands, and average length thumbs, certainly not stubby. Anyone experienced this issue? What are some good correction fixes? Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    I'm a bit confused. If you use the two-thumbs forward hold, then unless you're a lefty, your right-hand thumb should be riding the safety, which should stop it from moving any.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I am right handed. I have used the thumbs forward method, with my right thumb next to the left underneath the thumb safety On my Colt Commander, which takes more pressure to engage, and is a more standard wedge shape than the longer extended thumb safety On the Kimber. I guess I will have to train myself to ride my thumb on the Kimber, like you said.

Posts liked by others
    Ah.

I have a Colt Commander too, but I got it sometime after getting used to a Para 1911 with an extended thumb safety. With the Colt (standard tear-drop safety) I've found that I'm better off offsetting my thumb a bit to the left -- otherwise the web of my hand gets chewed by the frame (not the hammer). I know, I ought to do a bit of work outside, to harden my hands a bit.

I guess you're coming at this the other way around, i.e. having gotten used to the Colt first.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Try a Gunsite 'lowered' thumb safety.

It moves the paddle down the body making it easier to ride it.

I use them since the joint at the base of my thumb was fused many years ago after an injury.

Posts liked by others
    Try shooting with the strong hand thumb over the safety. That solved my problem.

Perform the draw, thumb off the safety and leave the thumb on top.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    As BHP9 mentioned, put your thumb on top of the thumb safety. That's how all the "cool guys" do it.

Here's an NSSF video with Doug Koenig on shooting grip. Note where his right hand thumb is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzC6djUQxM

Posts liked by others
    +1 for having the thumb riding the safety. As I draw, the thumb is on the safety, the finger is along the side of the gun, and as I bring the gun to the ready position, the thumb presses down, and remains on the safety. If I see a threat, the gun comes up, but the trigger finger does not move until I decide to fire. The thumb rides the safety the entire time.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by PolyKahr View Post
    As I draw, the thumb is on the safety, the finger is along the side of the gun, and as I bring the gun to the ready position, the thumb presses down, and remains on the safety. If I see a threat, the gun comes up, but the trigger finger does not move until I decide to fire. The thumb rides the safety the entire time.

Wade
    Gunsite's Ed Head in this GunTalkTV video shows the draw stroke in the first minute or so of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGxwJrrABY
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (15th August 2017)