I am a former dealer of police leathergoods, and included were the J. M. Buchheimer Leather Co, and the Buchheier-Clark leathergoods. Of the two companies, which merged into both named companies, the older (circa late 1800's start) J. M. Buchheimer Co. produced a good line of leather of the 'older' years, but fell short with the advent of newer styles of weapons and police uniforms. Originally known as the Clark Holster Co in Los Angeles, CA, became the Buchheimer-Clark company after the merger. Their dies for making belts and holsters updated, and upgraded for the newer styles of firearms and uniforms.

Most of the leather companies in the 60's through the late 90's used a 'roll press' method for making a basketweave design while Buchheimer-Clark make stamping dies. The difference was a much sharper, and more precise design. I can't say on the roll press method by the other companies beyond the early 90's as I have been away from the business since that era.

All the Buchheimer-Clark products were top of the line of any manufacturer, but were matched pretty closely by Safariland. The holster and belt line produced by J. Bianchi was also a top line company, but much of his line was originally around western wear, even though his work in LE brought him to design LE gear.

As a dealer of LE gear I found that in this area a very poor market for the Bianchi line, mostly due to the price. The J. M. Buchheimer line that I had carried for many years became, due to price, a primary line item for those just starting out in security. Contrary, however, were full time police officers here. They just wanted the better line of Safariland, Buchheimer-Clark, and later line of Don Hume. These companies had fully developed full lines of police leather products that were truly built for the tough, everyday wear and use of them.

J. M. Buchheimer Co, and Buchheimer-Clark leather finally shut down in the 90's. As the two had merged the J. M. Buchheimer company closing shut out the B/C line to where there just was not enough funding for advertising, and the original owner had passed on with his son taking the role. He, however, had then passed into his 50's and just could no longer continue.

As my old trouser belt from B/C has now worn out (after 30+ years) I sure wish I could find another constructed as well. Safariland would have a good enough design, but no longer make the 1 3/4" belt, and Don Hume just doesn't have the deep stamped basketweave design I want. (Of course, Safariland had completely revamped the company under a different owner-company, and just don't do all they used to do.)

One thing I did find from Safariland was that Donald Keller (Inventor of the Kel Lite) still worked for Safariland after selling out to them years ago. I had a great pleasure dealing with him both while a dealer with his line, and later while he was at Safariland.

I hope this info on J. M. Buchheimer and Buchheimer-Clark has helped the knowledge of those who wonder.

Dave.