Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Failure to Return to Battery and How Dirty is Too Dirty!

Posts liked by others
    To eliminate the slide stop as the cause, remove the slide from the receiver and reinstall just the slide stop. Load a magazine and tap it on something to be certain that all rounds are fully toward the rear.

Now insert the magazine into the receiver while watching the slide stop. See if the bullet of the top round clears the slide stop lug, or scrapes against it. If it clears, nudge the top round forward just a tiny bit and try again. What you want to do is find out how far a round would have to move forward under recoil to cause a problem. If your magazine followers have the dimple, load just one round and then push that round forward to where the case mouth is stopped by the dimple (which is why it's there). Then try the test again. If a round that's properly located at the dimple (not forward of it) makes contact with the slide stop, then it's time to break out the file.

The reason I specified a half-round file is that you want to remove as little material as possible. Using a half-round file (preferably a fairly small one) allows you to contour the lug around the shape of the bullet.

You can also alter the outer portion of the slide stop to increase resistance to being pushed up. I think Brownells sells a spotting drill that's sized to go in through the plunger tube and drill a small detent for the tip of the plunger to engage. You can control the amount of resistance by how deep you drill the depression.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I thought I'd post an update. I've continued shooting the pistol and eliminating magazines involved with malfunctions as I go. I've also been carefully and gradually filing the slide stop where the copper marks show up, being mindful to leave the front of the lobe alone.

So far, the new Wilson Combat ETM mag has yet to cause any issues. I've eliminated four of my eight Checkmate Mags. I am starting to wonder if this was all just related to magazines after all. It's just surprising that half or even the majority of my Checkmates would be bad. I'd also assumed a GI-style mag with the dimpled follower would be more reliable than something like the ETM, which lacks a dimple. Regardless, if switching mags causes all issues to dry up, it'll be a good sign. If not, the gun's going to Wilson for custom work.

Posts liked by others
    Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads or re-manufactured ammo? Out of spec ammo can cause the problem you are describing

Posts liked by others
    Only factory ammo, and only 230gr FMJs. I wish I could reload so I could feed my M1 Garand for cheaper, but I don't have the time or space for it at the moment.

Posts liked by others
    A few thoughts.
    I would put a new Wolff recoil spring in the gun. Colt recoil springs usually measure like 14 Lbs and should be a factory 16 Lbs.
    Get some Wilson mags. Again just a stronger spring than factory.
    last change ammo. I know S&B ammo is harder to resize on my Dillion. I think the cases are a hair thicker.
    I'd run just about anything in my Glocks, But my 1911's only get American made Brass cased ammo.
    Go to your local Walmart and buy a box of Winchester White box and see how you make out.

Posts liked by others
    T-Tac, thanks for the advice! I had a similar thought to you and have started to replace the magazines that I've weeded out. So far, I've removed 4 of my 8 Checkmate magazines from service based on the principle that I retire them the very first time they have a malfunction. I've bought one Wilson Combat ETM 8-rd magazine and two Tripp Research Cobra 8-round magazines. No malfunctions at all with the Wilson yet, and the Cobras have just arrived, so I haven't had a chance to shoot 'em yet.

As for my recoil spring, it is a Wolff 16lb spring that I will probably end up replacing relatively soon because it has about 1200 rounds on it. It seems like most people agree that replacing the spring every 2,000 rounds is a reasonable maintenance cycle. I try to take very good care of the pistol, so I'd rather replace early than late. All my Checkmate mags are running Wolff springs as well. I learned early on that factory springs tend to be weak.

I can try out the Winchester ammo, though I've had problems with it before, according to my log. Winchester and Federal FMJs, and now these. Though the S&B was the only to have the FTRB that motivated this thread, and I think maybe the thicker case plus a dirty chamber did it. I haven't had that issue again since I started scrubbing out my bore and chamber after every range trip. Maybe I'll try to get some Winchester when I test out my Tripp mags!
    Last edited by Lt. Moreau; 30th April 2017 at 09:26.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123