Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Remingtom ammo changes

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Remingtom ammo changes

We recently became aware that the Golden Saber line of premium self defense JHP ammunition is no longer in Remington's catalog or on their web site. What they new offer is a line called Ultimate Defense. They also now have a line called "High Terminal Performance," which is JHP ammo sold in 50-round boxes. Trying to figure out what's going on, I contact Travis Tomasie at Remington, and he responded very promptly with some answers. For those who don't know the name, Travis is a former member of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Team, who is now a professional shooter for Team Remington.

Here's what he had to say regarding the changes to the line-up:

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Tomasie
    "Golden Saber" is discontinued in the commercial market (still available LE). Golden Saber is renamed "Utlimate Defense" for the commercial market, in order to bring awareness to our personal defense line. Simply a marketing strategy.

Ultimate Defense utilizes a non-bonded projectile.

"High Terminal Performance" is simply UMC with a flash suppressed propellant.

"Ultimate Defense" has these added features above HTP:

-Nickel plated case
    -Case mouth and primer warterproofing
    -Brass Jacket
    -Spiral nose cuts
    One thing to add: The Ultimate Defense line includes a separate sub-line labeled for compact handguns. In .45 ACP, for example, the specs for this are based on a 3-inch test barrel rather than the 5-inch barrel used for the standard ammo. The Compact Handgun line is designed to provide more reliable expansion at the lower velocities generated by short-barrel, compact pistols.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    DocWyatt (9th April 2017)

Posts liked by others
    http://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/4...manufacturer=7

Lucky Gunner still has some if you looking for the original

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the followup, Hawkmoon. Very useful information. Golden Saber has been my self defense ammo for a long time now and to my recollection, I don't believe I have had any bullet related feeding failures in my 1911's with the Golden Sabers, including my Kimber Ultra.

... they will soar on wings like eagles.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by T-TAC View Post
    http://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/4...manufacturer=7

Lucky Gunner still has some if you looking for the original
    I also a am a fan of Golden Sabre but read the replies that Hawkmoon with interest. Guess I will try the new stuff.
    Greg
    ps - in looking at the Lucky Gunner site I see that Remington produces a "special sub-sonic" 45 acp load. Geez, that certainly is a breakthrough. Imagine, a 230 grain bullet going less than the speed of sound.

"What an exciting, modern age we live in."
    Lucky Captain Jack

Posts liked by others
    "High Terminal Performance" is simply UMC with a flash suppressed propellant.

Has anyone tested this HTP JHP ammunition for reliable expansion?

I have a 100 round ct UMC box, L45AP7B and for me, it's more of a training type ammunition, not a personal defense loading. Hopefully the suppressed propellant is clean burning.

Anyone here remember Remington's marketing strategy with the 7mm Express?

"Ultimate Defense" has these added features above HTP:

-Nickel plated case
    -Case mouth and primer warterproofing
    -Brass Jacket
    -Spiral nose cuts

The Golden Saber, had/has the spiral cut nose, plus the GS had a driving band at the base of the bullet that made for a very accurate bullet. I assume the "Ultimate Defense" JHP does not have this band???
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by horse 91-A1 View Post
    The Golden Saber, had/has the spiral cut nose, plus the GS had a driving band at the base of the bullet that made for a very accurate bullet. I assume the "Ultimate Defense" JHP does not have this band???
    Travis said that Golden Saber was renamed Ultimate Defense. That would suggest to me that it's the same ammo with a different name. (And a higher price, of course.)

Sort of like when Winchester discontinued the horrifying-sounding Black Talon (sounds scary, doesn't it?) and came out with SXT. There's a widely-circulated rumor that SXT is an acronym for Same eXact Thing.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    horse 91-A1 (15th August 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Oh man...

I guess I should hang onto my original box of Golden Sabers! They have fed perfectly through my RIA 1911, with no FTF, FTE, etc...

Likes (1) :
    horse 91-A1 (15th August 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
    Oh man...

I guess I should hang onto my original box of Golden Sabers! They have fed perfectly through my RIA 1911, with no FTF, FTE, etc...

Golden Saber has been my carry ammo of choice for as long as I can remember. It seems to feed reliably through pistols that choke on other JHP ammo.

That's due in large part to the round-ish ogive of the bullet, which has a curve very similar to that of FMJ bullets. A couple of decades ago, when I first got my carry license, many competing JHP loads used bullets that were shaped more like a truncated cone, and those were the ones that caused problems in many 1911s. I haven't been keeping score, but I have a vague impression that today most premium JHP self defense loads are shaped more like the Golden Saber.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Count me as another Golden Saber fan, it's a tough design and is accurate. Load them in 45auto, 10mm and 357mag: there was a time when I ordered them by the thousand. Nosler 185s feed well also and they can bought in 1,000 ct boxes. Anyone else have feeding issues with 185gr XTPs?
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    While I have also found Golden Saber to feed reliably, I have also found Hornady Critical Defense to work well in my Kimber. Critical Defense has a truncated cone. I think newer 1911s are less sensative, but I could be wrong.

Wade