Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen this before?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Anyone seen this before?

Don't have a clue where the proper place to put this post is nor do I have a clue how to post pics to show you.

Last week I went through 100 rds...3 times on the 3rd shot of 5 rd loads this happened.

The stripped cartridge ended up perpendicular to the bore axis...rim in magazine. Bullet nose against hood extension, one case side was against breech face and the other was against feed ramp.

Rd. 2 on the day did not extract, like the extractor never engaged the groove yet it was in battery because it fired. The rim was not damaged and the case slid right out when I tipped the gun up so it wasn't stuck.

This week no such funny stuff with 50 rds.

Any explanations or theories?
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 26th March 2017 at 22:25.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Tawadc95
    I think this should be in gunsmithing troubleshooting...perhaps the moderators will move it for you.
    My first question is, does this happen on the same magazine? It seems like there might be two issues....one being the round not stripping from the magazine and the second being the pistol's extractor.
    I have had both problems happen before. The first is a result of inertia feed and the second was simply an extractor tune.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawadc95 View Post
    . . .nor do I have a clue how to post pics to show you.
    Picture posting instructions can be found in our FAQ section.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    You want to troubleshoot a problem -- where else should it be posted other than "Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting"?

We've moved it for you.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for proper placement of this question. Since I wasn't sure if I had a gun, handload or magazine problem I just took a stab at a column.

NC, it is indeed the same magazine. A Checkmate 7 rd Officers model with hybrid lips and Checkmate dimpled
    follower.

I have noticed of late that with this particular mag when I load my chamber by slingshot and remove
    mag to insert another rd in mag..what would have been rd 2 prior to slingshot and now new top rd. is about halfway forward travel on the lips.

Have not been sure if that means something or not...gonna try some different mags this week.

Thanks all!

Posts liked by others
    I think you may find the feed lips spread a little on that magazine.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    I was thinking weak magazine spring on the round half forward.

Back to the original problem(s). The 1911 is supposed to be a "controlled feed" firearm -- that means the cartridge is intended to feed up out of the magazine and into the extractor claw as it moves forward, so that the cartridge is always being held and guided by something. Rounds getting loose and creating what are essentially stovepipes with unfired, unfed rounds pretty strongly suggest that the extractor is losing control -- and the fact that you have experienced failures to extract would seem to support that hypothesis. I think the next thing to do is check the extractor tension.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Ok, so I'm slow of mind at times and some things don't always register until symptoms arise.

Recently when I load this particular mag I have noticed that the rounds don't rest against the lips, the bullet nose is held
    down and when I push it up against the lips there has been a click.

After reading the later posts here I payed attention. For whatever reason as I said the nose is held down and away from the lips. The click was the rim of the top cartridge popping out of the Extractor groove of the cartridge below. When the top cartridge rim pops out of the groove of the cartridge below it apparently moves the lower one moves forward some as it is forward and nose down when it becomes the top round.

I also observed the mag lips being forced apart some as I pushed the nose up against the lips..I'll make some measurements tonight when I have time.

For some reason the last 3 cartridges do not exhibit this behavior.

This mag is new in December...it appears to behave as if I stepped on it without any visual indications of foul play.

Posts liked by others
    If your extractor is not getting control of the cartridge as it rises up in the magazine and then is released by the magazine - but the cartridge ends up feeding OK - there should be evidence of pushfeeding on the aft edge of that cartridges rim. That occurs when the extractor nose snaps over the rim and it will leave a mark sort of like this:

IF you mark to top of a cartridge, that mark will be at about the 3 o'clock position.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Interesting, much more subtle marking than I thought!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast