Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Combat Commander Mag Help

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Combat Commander Mag Help

I just purchased a very nice Colt Combat Commander built in 1977 and it is finished in brushed nickel. However, the pistol came with a blued Colt magazine and I'm pretty sure that this is not the original mag. I'm thinking that the original magazine must have had a nickel finish or maybe it was stainless. Anyway, I was hoping that some of you experts could clue me into what magazine I need to put this pistol back into original condition. If you know what markings should be on the bottom of the mag it would help greatly in my search for the proper mag. Thanks

Posts liked by others
    I googled "nickel plated colt commander", and pics appear to show silver-colored mags in the guns.
    Colt didn't make any stainless pistols until 1985, and I don't know if they were offering stainless mags before then?
    I'm sure there will be some, "I bought a nickel Commander in fill-in-the-year, and it had . . .", before too long.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    I've observed some LNIB electroless nickel pistols with blue magazines but don't know for certain those originally shipped with the pistols. Possibly shipped with blue if nickel unavailable at the time. I would say nickel magazines shipped in most cases.

COLT over .45 AUTO. and a drainhole in the front most likely the style you need.
    Last edited by Doran; 25th March 2017 at 07:25. Reason: clarification

Posts liked by others
    A 1977 Combat Commander is more than likely satin nickel, and would have came with a satin nickel magazine. Some of the satin nickel Colt's did some blued parts in them and these might of had a blued mag.

I'd look on eBay or maybe Gun Broker for a nickel Colt magazine
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"