Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rugers MIM quality?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Rugers MIM quality?

So how durable is Ruger MIM parts? How do they compare to Colts MIM? I finally started actually reading up some on MIM and It seems some companies (Like colt) get it right while some dont (like kimber) where would you rate Rugers quality in comparison?

Posts liked by others
    At least as good as Colt if not better. Ruger has made a lot of the MIM parts found in guns other than Ruger's for many years.
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum . . . <))>(

Posts liked by others
    Companies eventually iron out their MIM issues.

Ruger had some issues with a batch of front sights, but that was 2 years ago; it was pretty clear that it was a bad batch because most mentions of the problem on-line came within a month of each other, then we heard no more about it.

Colt too had problems in the past, but those are nearly two decades old. S&W had some broken slidestops at one point, then no more complaints, either. Kimber seems to be getting very few complaints lately, too.

There will probably come a time, not too far in the future, when complaining about MIM parts will begin to look silly. We're not complaining about the MIM blades in commercial jet engines, are we?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I've always been a glock guy so I shouldn't be so totally against mim considering I'm used to
    plastic lol.
    Likes (1) :
    Warbirdnut (18th March 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I might change my mind after I research it more,is there any threads on here comparing different companies MIM sources and quality?

Posts liked by others
    A general comparison between brands of MIM parts? No.

But again, even if such a comparison was made (to what criteria, I don't know) it would probably be out of date very quickly.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Another problem would be that many manufacturers contract out the MIM part and those contracts may change from year to year. The Ruger SR1911 front sight was not done in house by Ruger. At least the sights that had the problem.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JF89 View Post
    So how durable is Ruger MIM parts? How do they compare to Colts MIM? I finally started actually reading up some on MIM and It seems some companies (Like colt) get it right while some dont (like kimber) where would you rate Rugers quality in comparison?
    I have pistols from Ruger, Colt, Kimber and SA. None of the MIM parts have failed yet. All of these pistols have been reliable after a short break in period.
    Last edited by tnhawk; 2nd April 2017 at 07:14.

Posts liked by others
    So no quality issues then? I'm still pretty much butt hurt over SA. And I am ready for a stainless.

Posts liked by others
    I took the plunge. The grip feels small in my hand. That part is different. I'll put a pic in your picture thread, but not today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast