Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When buying aftermarket parts are there any parts that should be replaced together?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

When buying aftermarket parts are there any parts that should be replaced together?

Can you mix and match every part or would you recommend buying things in sets(such as ignition parts, etc)?.

Posts liked by others
    You can mix and match, but IMHO hammers are sears usually work better when bought in sets, or at least from the same manufacturer.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    The M1911 goes back to the "zero" tolerances era. All parts are hand fitted.

I bought a hammer, disconnector, sear set when I upgraded my 9mm M1991 years ago as a training pistol. Hard to remember the maker but it came from Brownells. This allowed fitting a good beavertail safety.

Recommend you do the same and not try to stick with your spur hammer.

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    Well I don't want a beavertail grip safety , so besides trimming a spur hammer what would you recommend?

Posts liked by others
    I was thinking about a commander hammer and just ordering something like this. https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-1...e-ignition-set
    How exactly do commander hammers differ?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JF89 View Post
    How exactly do commander hammers differ?
    This is a photo from the e-zine review of a Colt 1991 Commander:

The grip safety tang is essentially the same as the GI style, but it has a small "bite" taken out of the top for the round hammer spur. No beavertail.

The Harrison elongated loop hammer has the same overall profile, and won't work with your GI-profile grip safety unless you notch it like the Colt Commander grip safety.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 12th March 2017 at 19:08.

Posts liked by others
    So what kind of hammer should I look for? Everything is a commander hammer on that website.

Posts liked by others
    I installed an ignition kit from Cylinder & Slide that works very well, measures right at 4.5 pound trigger pull.
    I like the spur hammer and also didn't want to change my grip safety.
    http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....how&ref=CS0373

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JF89 View Post
    So what kind of hammer should I look for? Everything is a commander hammer on that website.
    Functionally they are all the same. One is unfinished tool steel. One is stainless steel. The third has a back IonBond finish. They all work the same. None will work with your GI-style grip safety.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    So spur hammers are the only option if I'm keeping the gi-style grip saftey?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast