Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Back.

Posts liked by others

Back.

This time with an HP, specifically an Argus clone. Very impressive shootin' iron, accurate and actually reliable. This (I think) is the only selfloading handgun I have ever shot that has gone 50 shots without a jam of some sort. Only problem is I seem to have developed a flinch. Not used to all sorts of things flipping about when I shoot. This pistol is making me rethink my assertion that the only serious defensive handgun is a revolver. As they say on TV, developing story.

Posts liked by others
    Regarding reliability, I have found Hi Powers to be 99.9% reliable. I was a 1911 snob for 30+ years, but a few years ago started shooting Hi Powers and found them to be excellent.

I don't know if you're asking for any suggestions about not flinching. Like any other firearm, rifle or pistol or revolver, it often takes hundreds and hundreds of rounds to become comfortable with the weapon. Back years ago I used to drive my wife crazy when I would dry fire all the time while we watched TV. Maybe you could find a local gun range that has classes or an instructor that could help you for a couple of hours.

Posts liked by others
    Not really asking about the flinch. That was More of an observation.

Posts liked by others
    Dave, I cannot imagine what semi auto you could not get to fire more than fifty rounds without a malfunction. I have pistols that date to 1918 (Colt 1911) many in the Thirties, Forties etc. and they all perform as expected and given good magazines without failures. My 1936 Hi Power shoots just as nice as my 1993 Captain tangent Hi Power, Mk II & III, post war and T series, of the 80+ Star pistols in the safe only one (a .22) has proven unreliable. Either you have selected some very poor firearms or the problem lies in your shooting technique to have such problems.
    I carried and shot distinguished master with my revolver while a sworn officer and while in a position to recommend and convert the department to S&W semi autos (later Glock) and we expended close to 100,000 rounds of ammo each year---malfunctions were a rarity.
    I love shooting my Single Action Colts, Double Action Smith's and a ton of semi auto pistols ---although to old to shoot Distinguished Master classification any longer I can still worry a soda can at fifty yards with one.