Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: My 1958 commercial.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

My 1958 commercial.

Newbie here. So I'm pretty dumb to all the nuances of the various 1911's.
    I came across this a couple of months ago. I've got about $600.00 in it. It is a 1958 commercial. Its not all original. First, its been re-blued. Whoever did it, did a very nice job though. The pictures don't do it justice at all. The trigger and sights have been changed, too. The feed ramp has been polished, and he said it had a stiffer recoil spring. As you can see, it has a slight rub on the right side when it cycles. It came with two mags and a nice carrying case. It fires and cycles flawlessly. And It's as accurate as my new Wiley Clapp model. I removed the plastic grips and installed a Hogue wrap around set.
    I guess my first questions would be what sights and trigger do I need to find to at least return that much of it back to original? I'm not necessarily in a big hurry to do any work on it. I don't plan on selling it. And, depending on what opinions and recommendations I get, I might be interested in sending it to either Colt, or Turnbull, and have a proper refinish done.

I don't know if I overpaid for it, or not. But if I did, it couldn't have been by too much.

IMG_20161120_151158274.jpg IMG_20161120_151235803.jpg

IMG_20170104_161740804_TOP.jpg IMG_20170104_161855105.jpg IMG_20170104_162657214.jpg
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (12th March 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I don't think you overpaid.

Others will give you other opinions but I wouldn't mess with the sights. The originals used back then weren't that easy to see, so if you like this gun as a shooter, the ones you have now are a great improvement over those. You could put GI-profile sights that are higher (like those Colt now uses in its 1991 series and their Series-70 Repros) but you'd simply get the same sight picture, minus the white-rear/red-front outlines.

The trigger can be easily replaced, either with a short one like the one that came with the gun originally, or a longer one that is black with no holes.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Some after marked front sights require a larger staking hole cut in the slide. If that happened a factory style sight might not fit.

Posts liked by others
    The sights are Milletts.

There were two types of rear that general style. One required a flat to be filed behind the dovetail, the other went into the stock slide. I can't tell which you have. If yours has not been flattened, you can go back to stock style.

There were two types of front that style. One was staked into the factory mortise or maybe enlarged for the 1980 "wide tenon". Either would let you go back to stock style.
    The other is the infamous Dual Crimp riveted into two LARGE holes. The only repair is to weld up the holes, cut a mortise or dovetail, reblue, and install a conventional front sight.
    Look inside the slide with the barrel out. Do you see two LARGE holes under the front sight?