Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: how to mould new holster

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

how to mould new holster

Just got a reproduction M-3 style shoulder holster... Seems like I read somewhere, to lube pistol well, get inside of holster wet, insert pistol and put it in a plastic bag.. I assume an airtight bag, I used a gallon zip lock bag. It is a nice repro from worldwarsupply, the 29 buck one. DIDNT use my 1918 Colt,,, but my son's (that I gave him) Rock Island. Inside the house, how long should this process take. Pistol is soaked well in Break Free .

Posts liked by others
    I believe the idea is to put the pistol ONLY in a ziploc bag, to keep the moisture of the holster away, then put it, back and all in the holster! Let me see if I can find a reference...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, Spyros, I got to thinking about that,, it was dripping wet with break-free anyway, got on the web, wound up immersing the holster in boiling water for a few seconds, then "boning " it with pistol in it, both sides, and top. left it overnight. Worked great. Then put leather conditioner on inside and out. Field stripped the pistol, removed firing pin, extractor, etc.... gave thorough cleaning, soaking, a little Kroil, then break free, then air hose, All seems good with the world! put some of the leather conditioner on a steel, and blued mag loader I have, just to see what it does to it, before I put the 1918 in it... Only for occasional carry, NOT storage. Thanks for the input.

Posts liked by others
    Be careful with leather conditioner, it can soften leather to the point that it becomes unusable.

The source I had in mind was Horseshoe Leather, but the text I remembered had to do with dealing with a fitted holster that was too tight. Their advice was to either a) spray the inside of the holster with some silicon oil or b) put the gun in a nylon bag and force it in the holster, leaving it overnight. Not what you had in mind.

It's good that you cleaned the pistol as you describe because water can get under the oil, trapping itself against the steel of the gun. Not ideal. CLP is better than most in that regard but it's still an oil (mostly).
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter