Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stay Awake!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Thanks for passing on the reminder and glad all ended well for you and your prized possession!

I have noticed when my rhythm is broken that is when I am prone to oversights...I had to make it a habit to pause and recite aloud to myself where I should be in the process when something breaks my rhythm.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for sharing. I too, get in a nice rhythm & now when something feels different I clear the issue & complete loading what's on the press, then start over. It's comforting to have control over these distractions and not react emotionally to the "lost time!"

Posts liked by others
    It's not the music--even long surgeries are often done with music playing.
    Two things:
    1) I prefer to always inspect each charged case before a bullet goes on. There should be no way for ME to place a bullet on a case without the though "look in the case."
    2) I prefer to run an RCBS Lock-Out die, so I am inspecting a case that has ALREADY passed the Lock-Out die.
    3) I ALWAYS clear the shell plate totally if ANYTHING breaks the process. I force myself to clear before worrying about anything else. The unprimed cases go back in the case collator, the primed case or cases are set aside, the charged case or cases have the charge poured back in the powder measure hopper and set aside, and the case waiting to be crimped is set aside to be crimped when things have been checked.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    It's not the music--even long surgeries are often done with music playing
    However, from what I've read, the music in an operating room is chosen by the surgeon in order to reduce the tension in the often hectic and noisy environment of an operating room. I feel your statement is inappropriate as the environment of the reloading bench should never, ever fit that description. In addition, there is some evidence "suggesting that music in the OR has a disruptive effect on novice surgeons." http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/875326

You are free to do as you wish while you reload. But it's possible to become somewhat absorbed by the choice of music and it's my fervent belief a reloader - especially a novice one - should be absorbed only by the process of reloading. And nothing else. YMMV

When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 25th June 2017 at 21:54.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    It's not the music--even long surgeries are often done with music playing.
    Two things:
    1) I prefer to always inspect each charged case before a bullet goes on. There should be no way for ME to place a bullet on a case without the though "look in the case."
    It's not the music -- unless it's the music. "It" is anything that distracts you or interferes with your focus and concentration.

In the goof I reported as my cautionary tale, there should have been no way for ME to place a bullet on a case without looking. That's my routine. I don't look in every fifth or every tenth case, I look in every case. And I looked in the case that turned into a squib. But, AFTER I looked at it I encountered a problem seating the bullet. The whole point of my story was to warn against being knocked off your routine. After I knocked the damaged projectile out of the case with an impact puller, I stuck the case back on the press. I run a Lee turret press, so there's only one case being worked on at a time. The press was on the seating stage ... so when I resumed work, I seated a new bullet. I was distracted, so I overlooked the obvious fact that I had just put an empty case on the press at the seating stage.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 8th July 2017 at 09:38.

Posts liked by others
    good advice. Your concentration does not have to drift far before you start making mistakes.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12