Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Vintage of Colt .22 Conversion Unit

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Vintage of Colt .22 Conversion Unit

I'm looking to see if anyone can pinpoint the era this Colt .22 Conversion Unit is from. I'm thinking late 60's-ish, but I'm not well versed on these. It's supposed to be in it's original box which looks like the woodgrain motif style. Thanks for your input.

Colt Conversion Unit.jpg

Posts liked by others
    I think you are right. I had a slightly later one with Elliason sight instead of Accro.

It lacks the No 2 slide stop specific to the .22 caliber.

It also lacks a recoil spring guide but that is not unusual. I think they varied over time, and were not always furnished as complete upper assemblies, you were expected to use parts from the centerfire as required.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Jim,
    I was aware of the missing slide stop but I didn't think that the barrel bushing and spring plug were included in this vintage of kit, but again I'm not that well versed on them.

Posts liked by others
    No bushing, guide rod, or plug on post-war kits, though most that I've seen pictured in the last ten years will have had some or all added.
    What's the address on the other side of the slide? I've seen them with COLT'S MFG. CO., and COLT'S PAT. F.A.; the former is a '50s address that covered the transition from the earlier Coltmaster rear sight to the Accro.
    EGW makes #2 slide stops, if you can't find an original.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Rick,
    Im pretty sure that I've identified it as a mid 70's Conversion Unit. Thank you for the help.