Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A gentleman on another forum says

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Looks great are you using Ceracoat on the pistols? Where did you get the night sights? Ha ha, Mk II 1/2 ! Nice touch and a cast frame to boot......check Altamont for grips, they make a thin checkered that fits my hand great.

Posts liked by others
    I realize I'm a few months late to this, but the pistol pictured by Mr Holbrook is not a MK II-1/2 according to a couple other Hi Power forums. For one thing, the slide pictured is not from a MK II. The MK II slide had a small rib running across the top of the slide, and the front sight was an integral part of the slide and not removable. This appears to be a standard Israeli MK III slide. Every Israeli pistol I've ever seen did not have the firing pin block, regardless of vintage.

The MK II-1/2 frame was forged and had a small rib running from the front of the trigger guard to the front of the frame dust cover. The frame in Mr. Holbrook's pictures is a standard cast MK III frame. The pistol pictured is of 1995 vintage and was manufactured long after the MK II-1/2 was no longer produced.

So far as I know, no-one has ever been able to explain the small rib on the frame of the MK II-1/2, but that has always been it's distinguishing characteristic, not the lack of the firing pin block. Sorry to add even more confusion, but that's the way the MK II-1/2 has been described on other Hi Power forums for at least twenty years.

ETA: FN really produced two versions of the MK III, the standard MK III which had/has no firing pin block, and the MK III/S which does. Evidently the Israelis ordered only the MK III without.
    Likes (1) :
    Ibmikey (18th May 2017)

Last edited by TMII; 17th May 2017 at 10:28. Reason: ETA

Posts liked by others
    TMII, you are correct, I did not take time to study the photos other than noticing the cast MK III frame. Both slide and frame are MK III especially obvious is the dovetail for front sight where the II is intregal. Actually there is no model MKII 1/2 that was made up by the OP suggesting parts from a II and III.

Posts liked by others
    Ibmikey, you're right, there is no official MKII-1/2. That was just the title many of us gave the Israeli MKIII that had the small rib on the frame in front of the trigger guard. This was done only to differentiate that version from all the others. It's a shame all the information that was on the old Hi Power forum was totally lost when it shut down. There were many discussions concerning this version 20 or so years ago on that forum.
    Last edited by TMII; 19th May 2017 at 08:09.

Posts liked by others
    Here's a pic of my Israeli MKII-1/2 pistol that shows the small rib on the frame in front of the trigger guard.IMG_0451.jpg

I've added another view of the rib, hoping it will show up better.IMG_0452.JPG
    Last edited by TMII; 20th May 2017 at 22:04.

Posts liked by others
    On a whim yesterday, I emailed Browning about my Israeli imported HP. Gave them the serial number and other stuff they might need to tell me anything they could about my handgun. Got a reply this morning saying it was indeed made by FN in Belgium.
    Hello Stephen,

Thank you for the email. Your gun is a 1961 and was in fact made in Belgium by FN.

Sincerely,
    Browning Customer Service
    cs

>
    > From:
    > Sent: Sunday, August 6, 2017 8:35 AM
    > To: "customerservice@browning.com" <customerservice@browning.com>
    > Subject: Hi Power?
    >
    >
    > I own an Israeli import serial numbered 10363 with a "B" prefix on the slide and grip frame that I would swear was made by FN. Any help here?
    > S. G. B. Sr.

Now, I'm a little sorry I had it refinished but, it's not going anywhere.
    Steve
    >
    Last edited by S.B.; 7th August 2017 at 12:08.

Posts liked by others
    SB, No reason to feel bad about the refinish, many of the Israeli imports were in bad condition , mismatched parts etc. and we're refinished before or after import to make them more saleable. These are shooters with a little extra character if you have Israeli markings and will provide Hi Power shooting fun for untold thousands I am happy they were imported and bought for of them myself. My Mk. II & III's had the enamel removed, light polish and blued--- they now look like FN just released them for sale and each shoots like a dream.

Posts liked by others
    I have an Israeli but it's remained in original condition. Yours looks beautiful with that new finish! I'm too much of a purist, just can't get myself to refinish anything.
    Like someone's grandpa used to say "I can sit here quietly and let everyone think I'm stupid, or I can say something and confirm it for them."

Posts liked by others
    ozarkmac, you might try emailing Browning and asking if yours too is made by FN? Several told me no way but, just ask and know for sure? I have no picture of it here?
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    S.B. Most of the pistols from Israel are made by FN who also make pistols under the Browning name ( Browning is an importer of the Hi Power and manufacture none themselves) FEG and Karen pistols are usually distinctively marked and easily separated from true Hi Powers. Besides FN proudly roll engraves their name on the slide of each pistol and most FN production serial numbers after the early fifties are available, so chances you have other than an FN pistol are remote and others should be readily identified.
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (22nd August 2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast