Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1969 commercial 1911A1..slide bluing original????

Posts liked by others

Question 1969 commercial 1911A1..slide bluing original????

Dear members,
    I just purchased what was advertised as a 95% pre 70 series government model. I was initially thrilled because it looked very nice. When i inspected it in better light the slide only had a faint purplish hue of a reblue. The markings are sharp and consistent in depth and dont look like they have been touched, but the color causes me to think its a reblue..though a pretty good one. Anybody ever see this on an untouched pre 70 series? I want to keep it because its really nice otherwise, but i want to return it if its a reblue. Any comments? Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    Differing alloys or suboptimal heat treating procedures sometimes result in a purple tint, often referred to as "plum". Photos might help.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Doran! Plum is a new term for me. I sure hope it is that because the gun is very nice otherwise. Great Coltwood grips and no idiot marks. I will try to get some photos up asap, but so far i find the color hard to show. Many thanks!

Posts liked by others

Plum Slides

Hello,
    Ive personally observed several plum slides on pistols from the late 60's-early 70's. In fact I own one. I wouldn't be to concerned about yours, it's more than likely all original. This one pictured from 1968.

1968 Colt G.M..jpg

Posts liked by others
    hotrod..thanks so much for the response! And thank you for the picture..that is exactly like mine! Mine is in the 325xxx range so i think a 1969 maybe? Anyway i love it and its my 4th Colt 1911, 2 shooters and now 2 that are mostly investment buys. I am so glad i found this site. I have learned alot. Now if i can just remember some of it! Thanks again!

Posts liked by others
    Sorry, can't help with the color, but I have an identical pistol (shooter though, not a collector) with the 325 serial number and a C suffix. When I researched mine, I found that it dated to 1969.