Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1914 Commercial Colt 1911 - Fully Engraved

Posts liked by others

1914 Commercial Colt 1911 - Fully Engraved

My Colt 1911 Commercial Colt 1911 S/N C2273, Fully Engraved, 1914 Year of Mfg., Approx 94% Blue with Eagle and Snake MOP Grips. Custom Leather Holster (looks Mexican) but not sure. Additional Photos Available. Enjoy.photo (58) small.jpgphoto (59) small.jpgphoto (60) small.jpgphoto (63) small.jpgphoto (64) small.jpg
    Likes (2) :
    OD* (21st February 2017), Pyrenean (13th February 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Nice work. Appears rear sight chgd at some point.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for noticing. I had not noticed this before. Is it possible that the rear sights were an option when purchased? I had investigated the source of the engraving and the grips and have not been able to identify by whom or under what circumstances. Therefore the rear sight must have been modified as a total upgrade be the original owner. I do not know this for certain but suspect that this piece was purchased by an officer, modified and then carried on the southwest border since the grips indicate Mexican influence and there is a custom holster that seems to have been made on the southwest border. See photo attached of the holster and original owner info.photo (56) small.jpgphoto (67) small.jpgphoto (66) small.jpg
    Likes (1) :
    Warbirdnut (14th February 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Not a rear sight style I've observed on factory pistols; appears "wider" than normal. Try comparing the dovetail in this slide to a known factory example.
    Likes (2) :
    great1911 (20th February 2017), OD* (21st February 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Something strikes me as odd on that factory letter.... the font doesn't look like anything I've observed from other Colt letters.... not sure what to make of that
    "I Started Out with Nothin' and I Still Got Most of It Left"

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for your thoughts. The request for confirmation of authenticity was issued to the requestor in 1989. That might explain the font size or style. Thinking back to that time period, that was a good date range for the appearance of electric or selectric typewriters. I did personally make a call to Colt to verify the letter after I purchased this Colt and they did find a copy of this same letter in their files and date to confirm that request.
    Likes (1) :
    TheGoldenCaulk (21st February 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Ah yes... I'm just old enough to remember these typewriters. It really doesn't look like a professional font now, but back then "because I can" was a perfectly reasonable explanation for using them. Although actually I just remembered that the librarian I worked for didn't entirely agree.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 20th February 2017 at 16:01.

Posts liked by others
    @ great1911 Well I'll be... I learned something new today! That's why I didn't know what to make of it, because most every letter I've seen was much later. Thanks for sharing!
    "I Started Out with Nothin' and I Still Got Most of It Left"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenCaulk View Post
    Something strikes me as odd on that factory letter.... the font doesn't look like anything I've observed from other Colt letters.... not sure what to make of that
    IBM Selectric Script font. Do not ask me how I know...
    Likes (2) :
    OD* (21st February 2017), TheGoldenCaulk (21st February 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenCaulk View Post
    I have a letter from Oct. 14, 1983, looks exactly the same.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper