Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: How is the Colt Defender frame finished?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

How is the Colt Defender frame finished?

Hello all.

I don't know how far back in time the Defender goes, or if any production changes have occurred over the years.
    But my question concerns recently produced Defenders, over the past 2-3 years up to the present.

Does anyone know how Colt finished the frames?

The surface is some sort of Cerakote-ish finish.
    (This is not my main concern, but if anybody knows how Colt specifies that "coating" I would be interested to know.)

What about UNDER the Cerakote-ish finish?
    Anything?
    Is the Cerakote-ish material just applied directly to the alloy frame?
    Or is the frame anodized first, then "coated"?

Bonus question would be: if the frame IS anodized do we know what type anodizing? Type II? Type III?

Much obliged if any Colt sleuths know this information!

James

1911 Epiphany

Posts liked by others
    I am interested to find out too. My TALO Night Defender is getting quite worn on the frame (and slide) from multiple presentations a day. After I retire her from EDC, I'd like to get her refinished.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Since the coating requires that the part be prepared prior to spraying by getting glass-bead blasted, so the surface has some 'tooth' for the finish to grab onto, any underlying anodizing would suffer... unless I'm missing something. Plus, if they were anodized to begin with, why spend more money to Cerakote them?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    i agree with Spy, the only reason to cerakote over anodizing would be for a color change. Type II blasts off pretty easily compared to III. I use Aluminum oxide as it gives more "tooth" than beads. i only try to dull Type III or it'll take all day
    You never pay too much for a Colt...you may just buy it a little early

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ashmesajim View Post
    I use Aluminum oxide as it gives more "tooth" than beads. i only try to dull Type III or it'll take all day
    My bad, you're right: Cerakote recommends #100 or #120 grit aluminum oxide.

Also, it says the following, with regard to hard-anodized aluminum components:
    Hard anodizing does not need to be removed if it withstands 3-5 seconds of blasting at normal blast pressure (80-100 psi) in one location without coming off the part.
    So it seems that anodizing AND Cerakoting might be possible, if the anodizing is hard enough. Interesting.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter