Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Just one BHP P35

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Just one BHP P35

Ok so I am planning on adding this venerable piece to my armory. I have a few desires.
    1 forged frame and slide
    2 FN part compatible
    3 surplus project
    When I read the threads I get conflicting info. Which surplus mfg should I be looking for, FM, or FEG?
    I plan to refinish with cerekote as well as some Cylinder and Slide left handed goodies.
    So once and for all, what mfg and model should I be looking for?
    Thanks, MIKIEG

Posts liked by others
    Any of those may or may not be 100 non gunsmith FN compatible, but should be smith fittable for exchanging parts if needed. Right now there's not a whole lot of price difference and little or no quality difference among the non FN/Browning brands. I beleive the only cast frame is the newer FN/Browning as developed for the .40 version and spread to the line.

cdisales on Gunbroker is the most consistent seller, but sometimes other retailers get batches in at a decent discount, but they always sell out practically instantly. Any cast frame FN built HiPower is going to get top of the line pricing and not be "surplus" priced.

Don't forget FEG also made and sold guns that look like HiPowers but use the S&W action ... and marked them any way the various US importers wanted them marked as far as model number goes. One FEG model or another doesn't guarantee the gun is Browning action. Only the cross link above behind the trigger tells; any HiPower type gun showing the cross link is HiPower Browning action. Despite this, FEG's are usually your best buy on price point. I paid a little under $300 for each of my FEG's.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 9th February 2017 at 17:01.

Posts liked by others
    So when inquiring about a surplus P35 type pistol, what specific question should be asked to ensure that you are getting the Browning type and NOT the S&W type?

Posts liked by others
    Ask for a picture that shows the oval cross link above and behind the trigger. You can also look at the safety lever. Browning action has the lever on the frame, S&W action has the safety on the slide. You could also ask for a picture of the disassembled gun showing the barrel bottom lugs that interact with the cross link.

Posts liked by others
    Why dont you just buy a FN High Power and have the real thing? Also you specify a forged frame but FN found the cast frame to be stronger and since the early nineties all of their frames are cast. Actually you may have procrastinated too long as the nice pistols have beenn gobbled up over the past few years and most of what is left is refinished and / or missmatched. I purchased a number of HP's from CDI over the last few years and ended up with some nice pieces that are early post war, T series, Mark II (forged frames) and MkIII with both cast and forged frames.
    my friend is a master bluer and he took the enamled Mk II's and Mk III's and turned them into a beautiful satin blue that looks like it just left the factory.....not a corner or letter with the sharp edge removed.

Posts liked by others
    There is absolutely no difference in serviceability or reliability or longevity between the FN MK ll and MK lll. Any firearm manufactured by FN is first class. Just my humble opinion based on many years of experience. I gave this MK lll with night sights to my daughter who can outshoot me! I also removed the magazine safety and reduced the trigger pull to 8 lbs. The hammer is Inglis as are the stocks. Also add a wide trigger.

DSC00216.jpg
    "GIVE ME A FAST SHIP, AND I WILL SAIL IN HARMS WAY" JOHN PAUL JONES USN
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (21st February 2017)

Posts liked by others
    John, No one has suggrsted any FN pistol is better ,service wise than another. I have shot a lot of rounds through a HP and Prefer the Later Mk III mainly because of the sights.

Posts liked by others
    I picked up a well worn post war FN P35 off a battlefield in Nam and carried it the rest of the time I was In Country. It was beat up and abused but shot like new!!! All I did to it was remove the mag safety and it had about a 12 lb trigger pull however it fired every time I pulled the trigger and extracted and ejected always. I gave it to a Marine when I left!!! When the chips are down, I will always turn to the Hi Power... I can shoot an HP better than the M1911...

The top one I gave to my daughter and the bottom one to my grandson.

DSC00002.jpg
    "GIVE ME A FAST SHIP, AND I WILL SAIL IN HARMS WAY" JOHN PAUL JONES USN
    Likes (2) :
    Mark75H (21st February 2017), ncviking (23rd February 2017)

Last edited by John Holbrook; 21st February 2017 at 17:47.

Posts liked by others
    In Korea some of thr Brits had HP's, i had a liberated 1911, always drooled when i saw the Hi Power. While still in uniform I got the Chief to alow me to carry my then new T series HP while my S&W mod 19 was enroute to the factory for some work, this was back when all police carried revolvers and it was a sin to think autos. I had bunches of people advise me the hammer was back on my holstered pistol, none seemed to see the strap rhat separated the pin from thee hammer or knew the safety was engaged.
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (21st February 2017)