Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coated bullet question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I've loaded thousands of poly coated bullets from Badman Bullets... on both Dillon and commercial loading machines, and they are cheaper than jacketed or plated, and load and shoot just as clean.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    They use a 92/6/2 alloy. Hornady uses 94/6 alloy. They aren't that soft.
    I run up to HOT .38 Super, but don't have chrono.
    Remember, they can swage copper, so any lead alloy is swappable.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    I ordered a sample from Badman just now..never heard of them.

They newly offer a 185gn .452 H&G 130. 92/6/2 is right in the neighborhood for me with a bhn of 15-16.

Posts liked by others
    I used to sized and lube with white label 50/50 and it done well but in the last year I have switched to Hi-Tek coating and have never looked back. No more sticky bullets and a lot cleaner and no smoke. Pm me if you want more information.

Posts liked by others
    I loaded and shot 50 rds of Missouri bullets with hi-tek coating....they seated with much less force on the press and the barrel squeaky clean, all I had to remove was powder residue.

Ill try the Badman samples next week.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawadc95 View Post
    ....they seated with much less force on the press. . .
    What do you think that means with regard to the case's grip on the bullet?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    I have no problem with the case holding on to the bullet. I have using Hi-tek for quite sometime now and really like it.

Posts liked by others
    I wondered that myself.

So, the next trip out I will be using the same cartridge as the first inserted in 5 mag loads and will measure after 5 shots from each mag load (it won't be chambered yet) to see if bouncing around upsets the apple cart.

I VISUALLY checked a few that had been chambered and found no apparent gross movements, no calipers used.
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 22nd February 2017 at 23:43.

Posts liked by others
    Here's how to test case grip safely without going to the range: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...v-gq9tAlI/edit

FWIW, when I seat my cast bullets, I expect to feel a fair amount of resistance in the press handle. If I don't feel it, something is wrong and it's almost always a split case.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    I put together a dummy round.

Starting COL WAS 1.1585 with a 185 gn H&G 130.

Six slingshot loads, measured after each one and finishing COL was 1.1585

Cool nosedive post...I wonder if Mr. Browning anticipated such a phenomenon?
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 23rd February 2017 at 21:53.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast